Author Topic: Flying west..any rock?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Flying west..any rock?
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:55:19 pm »
Heading to Vegas then to California to see the big trees in Sequoia and Yosemite National Forests. Plan to put my toe in the ocean at least once. Will be driving around a lot so was wondering if there is any chert, agate or jasper that could be collected while I am out there.??

Any possible or known locations would be appreciated...Thanks
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Flying west..any rock?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:11:23 pm »
NC I can't help you with the stone, but enjoy that road trip. My wife and I flew to Reno for our honeymoon. We rented a car and took a 1900 mile road trip. Went to see my cousin near Sacramento. From there headed north up highway 101 getting off on "The Avenue Of The Giants". It's a two lane that winds though the Redwoods. We went almost to Oregon and camped out for two nights in the Redwoods. Then we made our way to highway 1 which winds its way to the coast. The coast is rocky and cliffs there, just like I it. Not sandy beachs full of people. We stayed at a small motel in Fort Bragg. We were lucky that it was clear and cool while we stayed there. The day we left it was so foggy you couldn't see a thing. We made our way through the Napa Valley and toured a winery. Then stayed at my cousin's house one night. Next we went back through the mountains to Lake Tahoe. We stayed in a real nice hotel one night and spent the next day there. That night we went back to Reno and caught the red eye back to Detroit. It was a great honeymoon and I kept asking my wife "isn't this beautiful"? She always said yes but so is it back home. We got into Detroit and headed home driving back along the Lake Huron shore line as the sun was rising over the lake. We were both totally exhausted and I turn to my new wife and said. Your right honey, it is beautiful here too. I'm sure you'll enjoy the view and good luck with the stone.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Patches

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:26:25 am »
Contact YosemiteBen.  He works at Yosemite.  I am not sure he will show you his rock collecting places but I bet he can show you some cool things that most visitors miss when they are in Northern California.  maybe you can trade him some North Carolina rhyolite for some rainbow obsidian  ;)

Have a good trip!

Neal   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 02:23:55 pm »
Thanks guys, it's going to be an adventure I am looking foreard to. I did find there is a mountain of obsidian called glass mountain. Not sure you can collect any there.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Patches

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 02:56:52 pm »
Look up Middle Fork Davis Creek for obsidian.  The Forest Service site says you can collect there with a permit.  I remember seeing a video by Primitive Tim where he collected obsidian there.  It is in Northern California but I am not sure where. 

Sounds like it will be a fun trip for you! 

Neal 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 07:37:20 pm »
Craps, Stay in Vegas >:D You can collect obsidian in the Warner mts but they are extreem noth west Cali
East of Goose Lake. There are real cool cherts in the Mojave Desert that you could have a shot at.
Mail me and I'll get you some details.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 06:23:50 pm »
Yup, Davis creek for rainbow/some other shades obsidian! I'll be hopping on 101 this weekend at the tip of the Olympic peninsula and driving south. Won't leave WA though. They should have lots of good rock on your trip though. You'll see every ecosystem except rainforest and swamp!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 12:31:07 am »
Hey There NC!
Lyman!
I got obs you can have - come break rock with me. I got contacts in Bakersfield ca as well! Gary Pickett is a heck of a knapper!
My cell is 209-628-0964 - need a roof? I got one!
Looking forward to making your acquaintance!

Ben