Author Topic: turkish bow size  (Read 4733 times)

Offline gorazd

turkish bow size
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:16:11 am »
Before adding sinew I have planned the size of turkish bow with :
-ntn size 120cm
-sal 25cm
-kasan 17cm
-tips 10cm
-sal thickness 11mm

After final third layer of sinew - because of overlaping layers - kasan size get bigger and sal smaller .... (I put 3 full layer on sal - and layers always overlap on kasan )
-Now the Kasan is around 20cm and sal 20cm too...

Does anybody care about the exact dimensions or just go on - and dont bother with it ?  :BB
Or should I sand the layers at the end to get the kasan size which was planned - in that case the precious sinew is sanded away  :-X
Or maybe reduce the horn layer on kasan section -  not needed to have a thick horn layer  here ?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:02:51 am by gorazd »

Offline davidjw

Re: turkish bow size
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »
I might be interpreting the issue wrong, but I would be worried about the sinew delaminating if the overlap is in the same place on each layer, especially near the kasan eye.  The overlap of the bundles should be staggered on each layer to avoid making a weak spot. 

Top drawing: is this what happened?
Bottom drawing: staggering the overlaps

Offline gorazd

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:16:01 pm »
I might be interpreting the issue wrong, but I would be worried about the sinew delaminating if the overlap is in the same place on each layer, especially near the kasan eye.  The overlap of the bundles should be staggered on each layer to avoid making a weak spot. 

Top drawing: is this what happened?
Bottom drawing: staggering the overlaps

Yes,... top picture. But I have used long fibers on kasan too, so overlaping area is bigger - 5cm and over.
Kasan-layers came on the sal couple of cm...

Before sinewing weight was 320g. After 3 layers weight is 460g. Tips are not reduced yet - so I think final weight will be around 400 g.

To prevent the lift of sinew layers on overlaping places  - I will wrap the bow with aditional combed sinew layer-tape on overlaping places (near handle and kasan-eye section) right after final tillering ....
I have seen that these wraps are quite often - Adam Karpowitz did it too on his monster Tartar bow...

I will wait till summer and then start tillering. Will see what will happen  :BB
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:51:12 am by gorazd »

Offline davidjw

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:20:31 pm »
I look forward to seeing it!