Author Topic: This is why be call them Cross guns  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
This is why be call them Cross guns
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:27:27 am »
A good friend of mine sent me this yesterday, he killed this turkey Monday morning with what he calls a bow[NOT] 60 yards  ??? :-M that is why I call them cross guns, that is farther that I can kill one with my 870. He said he can shoot a 3 inch group at 75 yards with it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: This is why be call them Cross guns
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:39:20 am »
Sounds about right. I have a buddy shoots them things too. He used to shoot traditional, bought one of those and he says because of the distance he mostly shoots that thing now. Not a really a bow in my mind. I saw a commercial the other day for a new cross, guy was shooting groups with it at 100 yards. Ridiculous!
Rockford, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:22:25 am »
Ya I hear ya, I got no problem with them at all except they call them a bow and they put them in our bow season, muzzle loader or rifel season I would have been fine with but not bow season. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:24:45 am »
Just another gadget for a lazy person to kill something, notice, I didn't say hunt something.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:31:07 am »
I saw that same commercial Dave. Pappy it's funny they're really popular here now but the wheelie bow guys hate em. They say those things aren't bows and are ruining their bow season.lol. I kinda get a chuckle out of that but believe me I know what their saying. Maybe they just need to start a "true" bow season and then a anything goes season.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 08:37:03 am »
They should only be available during archery for people who are disabled legally, imo Pap.
1’—>1’

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 08:40:44 am »
That's how it is in Kansas Steve, only the legally disabled are allowed to use them in archery season.  Far from a bow if you ask me
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:43:59 am by Aaron H »

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 09:05:03 am »
I would love to build one of these, but do a search on google image for "degloving" and look at the images and you'll loose interest in shooting one.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 09:21:20 am »
I hav'nt read what others have said Pappy but I really really don't see the challenge in taking a turkey that a way.Your right it's NOT a bow it's a contraption.If I wanted to here I could load my muzzle loader .54 hawken and line up 10 and 12 point or more racks amoondo along the porch guard rails here.Like shooting fish in a barrel. No challenge again.
Sorry if I sound a little exemplative about that but its' just the way I feel.OH and it's fitting putting it in the campfire thread too.It's where it belongs.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 09:33:27 am »
Id rather have him shooting 3" groups with that thinga-majig than to shoot what we approve of, poorly. If he is confident with it, I'm happy and so is his quarry.

I agree, its barely a bow. But that started rolling down hill years ago and wont change soon.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:45 am »
congrats on the bird, we had some guys that hunted with one of those things yrs ago, they used a bolt were the fletching was the blade(not legal). they claimed to kill a deer at 200 yrds with it.

Today my dad has one because he can't pull his bow anymore. Here in WA, we can only use on of them if we have a disable permit (DR's note) from the game department and then have to get a cross gun endorsement (more red tape) from them too. that think shoots dang fast. He only likes to shoot out to about 40-50. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 11:34:08 am »
Dang, you'd need a bearer to tote that thing around for you.   ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 11:48:06 am »
At least use one of these, sheesh

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 01:05:41 pm »
Those are legal in Ohio for all seasons.  I feel each persons hunting equipment is a very personal choice and as long as it is legal and gets more people involved in hunting then I am all for it. The sale of license and permits is where a large part of my states conservation funds come from. So the more sold the better off we all are. Just because I prefer to bow hunt with wooden bows and arrows I dont begrudge those that prefer all the latest technology. We all have to live within our own sense of fair chase and ethics.
Steve Bennett

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 02:07:08 pm »
I use one to fill my freezer.  I would much rather use a selfbow but I'm not skilled enough to provide meat for the year with a stick and string. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left