Author Topic: This is why be call them Cross guns  (Read 3577 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: This is why be call them Cross guns
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 04:38:08 pm »
Those are legal in Ohio for all seasons.  I feel each persons hunting equipment is a very personal choice and as long as it is legal and gets more people involved in hunting then I am all for it. The sale of license and permits is where a large part of my states conservation funds come from. So the more sold the better off we all are. Just because I prefer to bow hunt with wooden bows and arrows I dont begrudge those that prefer all the latest technology. We all have to live within our own sense of fair chase and ethics.
I really agree Turtle. I wouldn't be opposed to a special true bow season it'd probably get more people trying Primitive and traditional but maybe we get a better group of people this way. We don't want to make it so nobody can hunt successfully. Not everyone is up to the same challenge. What's more important is that we have hunters who respect the rules and each other and the game they are pursuing.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 09:36:28 pm »
In New York it's an on line questionare and you are in they should take the bow hunting course!!,,,,,,but we get more time in the woods with old timers that taught us to bow hunt,,,,,,I have one ,,,my plan is to be done hunting before gun season!! ,,,,,,but to me the most dorky thing I ever saw is some one trying to walk stealthy while carrying a cross bow!! There is just no way to look cool with one of those cumbersome contraptions lol Jeff

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 06:30:20 am »
I didn't post this to stir anyone up, I truly don't care what anyone hunts with as long as it is legal. I was just making the point it really ant the same as bow hunting especially with a stick. I choose a long time ago to hunt with my self bows but completely understand that's not for everyone , success is much less for me and miss the opportunity for some really nice bucks each year because of that choice but the reward is much greater when I do connect. I do manage to fill the freezer each year and that is all that really matters to me. When that stops happening then I may change my mind. ;) :) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 06:37:45 am »
That's how I understood your post Pappy
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 07:21:44 am »
Thanks BJ, didn't mean to offend anyone that uses one or a compound/muzzy loader or rifle for that matter. :)To each there own I always say. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 07:48:41 am »
I didn't take any offense Pappy.  When I first started hunting with a selfbow I was still using a compound to put meat in the freezer.  Trying to switch back and forth between a primitive bow and modern bow really goofed me up on both.  I switched to a crossbow because it its more like shooting a gun than a bow.  It let me focus on only practicing with a selfbow and improved my shooting enough that I was able to kill 2 deer.  As far as I'm concerned there isn't much difference between a crossbow and a compound bow.  They both have similar ranges.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 08:24:21 am »
Well I do apologize for the extreme reaction to that picture.I do have some disabled friends that love to hunt and the only way is with a more mechanized weapon,and everybodys situation can be different.There are able bodied people who just like to take the easy route yet though.
To me yet it's still like the difference between just killing or hunting.A person misses out on the thrill of the hunt just killing.Like said a lot more satisfying and feel lucky to be able to experience that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JEB

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 09:01:12 am »
Hold on to your hats because the "airgun" has been re-introduced to the market.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 09:37:53 am »
You are right Jeb.  I don't see how they can call those a bow of any kind.  There isn't any strings or limbs on it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JEB

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 09:40:22 am »
 Clint, I remember something my dad told me once about archery, "we are our own worst enemy".

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2017, 02:43:39 pm »
There is just no way to look cool with one of those cumbersome contraptions lol Jeff

Unless you're Daryl Dixon from The Walking Dead, lol.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 02:59:21 pm »
I have a friend with ALS, he has to use one if he wants to hunt. I have carried his out for him a time or two and DAMN are they heavy. Like 10-12#? I will use one when I have no options left. But no sooner.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 10:16:53 pm »
No offense taken here at all pappy!  What I'm trying to say is,,the guys that taught me to bow hunt and build,,,are back out hunting again !! With the same fire in their eyes as 40 years ago!,,,,and that's a good thing . Jeffw

Online PaulN/KS

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 10:57:13 am »
That's how it is in Kansas Steve, only the legally disabled are allowed to use them in archery season.  Far from a bow if you ask me

Nope, current regs list them as legal equipment under the "archery" category with no disabled only restrictions. Been that way for at least a couple three years now...