Author Topic: First Morels of the Season!  (Read 6222 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: First Morels of the Season!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 07:43:10 pm »
BJ, you're in MI if I remember correctly? I've read that all those states in the middle of the county from MN, WI and MI down to AR, MS, and AL have a lot of limestone in the soil which Morels love. Whenever I read the Morel message boards it's guys from those states who go home with pick-up trucks full of them.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline willie

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 12:22:44 pm »
spring is almost here where I  am. and we have had a lot of forest fires the past few years so finding a few is gonna happen this year.........

I am told that "after a rain"  is when. it is generally very dry in the spring here, so that doesn't happen often.

how soon after a rain??? is best?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2017, 10:29:14 am »
I'd go looking the next day. If you find any yellows that look kinda small leave them a few days and go back. I usually pick them when they're 3" tall or more.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline willie

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 11:22:01 pm »
we got some rain and I went to the burn.  grass and these just starting to pop up. leaves on trees the size of quarters.
am I too early?

what signs of spring seem to be concurrent with the morels showing up?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 06:35:31 pm »
Willie, there are things folks say to look for like... when the oak leaves are as big as squirrel's ears, and when the redbuds bloom. I usually start looking when understory plants are 5-6 inches tall. It has a lot to do with the ground thawing out.

Nigerian Proverb