Author Topic: Veritas arrow maker  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Veritas arrow maker
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:20:32 pm »
So for the price of 100 shafts, maybe a bit more, I can make all my own shafts. I live surrounded by doug fir and farmers with lumber mills so the material is cheap. Question is who uses one and what do you think of it? How many shafts can be made with one? Quality? Anything better out there?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Veritas arrow maker
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:41:34 am »
I've never used one but from what I've heard after a bit of setting up they work pretty well. I have some poplar shafts that Charlie Jefferson(stringstretcher) made with one and they are great shafts. Charlie found that 2 years of drying made a big difference with the poplar. He also ran the shafts through a compression block.  Charlie hasn't been on the site for a few years(due to illness) but you might try a search on here. I think he talked quite a bit about it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 02:36:35 pm »
Same as Pat B, I haven't used one but several on here have and say that it can be a little fiddly to set up but makes great shafts. Look around at some other dowel making threads here, lots of folks have made their own dowel making setups as well.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 04:06:23 pm »
Thats funny, I was just thinking of making the same purchase. You beat me to the post. I'll be looking at this.