Author Topic: feather cutter  (Read 16288 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
feather cutter
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:28:40 am »
Oi Oi I don't know if anyone can help here. I remember seeing something online a few years ago on how to quickly cut feathers for fletching. It was two peices of wood. A real simple deally. However I have since lost that link where some dude shows you how to make it. It was basicly two peices of wood. and then Boom you cut the feather. Anyone have an idea what I am talking about. Perhaps a link to making one?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
Re: feather cutter
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 03:48:02 pm »
Actually if anyone has any arrow related  wood jigs that thy could link me to, or put up for me that would be awesome. Cause I'm going all out with the arrow making. My arrows have been very very crued up till now so I would like to attempt to make some  really decent accurate arrows from now on. I've started tying them with thread, in the english war arrow style. Not really fletching them in the same method, I've been using 2 " - 2 1/2" fletching on them. I've even done a 6 feather fletching to see the differences. I like the effect the smalle have;Nice and straight flight path. I've found a few things on making fletching jigs and feather cutting jigs to make everything even and  equal. But I would greatly appriciate any More designs of them  ;D ;D ;D cheers mates
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:10:53 pm »
 I've got a bunch of canada goose primary wing feathers that I have been trimming by hand.It's a drag man.Wish I did have some sort of jig to make it easier.I know them feather manufacturers must have a  radicool way of getting them perfect fletches,must have some kind of jig.Let me know if you come up with something good.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:01:52 pm »
  When I was cutting them by hand I used two templates I cut from thin plastic. They were the shape of the fletching I wanted. I pinched the feather between the two and cut with scissors against the grain.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 10:50:28 pm »
I don't mess around with no Plastic or Cardboard templates....I made me a Little Jig that seems to do the trick for Me anytime I need it....I just used my Broadhead Spin Tester....and My Weller Soldering Iron....bent me a Piece of Stainless Steel Wire to the Shape I wanted....chucked it up in the Soldering Iron....and Presto Shield Cut Turkey Feathers

I glue them on the Shafts natural Shape...and just spin it nice and slow and trim all three Feathers all the same...and they are burnt ...so they don't spread apart like the Cut ones do after a few shots....

I guess you Southern Boyz would call this N@#G%R RIGGING....but I call it Yankee Ingenuity!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 11:24:29 pm »
  Good idea.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 11:31:31 pm »
                                                       Why.............Thanks Eddie!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 02:04:08 am »
That's a really neat idea, but how does the bottom wire keep from burning the feather off the shaft?   :(  :(

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

wvfknapper

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 02:33:43 am »
Yank,, good idea,,, I had one I made years ago and lost track of it,,, I used a power box for a electric train (don't remember what they are called,, it's like a transformer/reducer thingy ) they have 2 studs with nuts and you just take a heating element out of an old electric heater and wire the ends to the studs and turn it on, glows bright red  ;D you can make a spinner out of wood with a notch in the end to accept the knock..............If I can find it I will get a pic.

Way cheaper than a factory feather burner  ;)

wvflintknapper

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 03:02:58 am »
That's a really neat idea, but how does the bottom wire keep from burning the feather off the shaft?   :(  :(

Otoe

There is about 1 inch of clearance between the Cut feather and the lower Wire....works really good....and you can just replace the Wire with a different shape cutter....in about 30 seconds too....I have them made for about 5 different cuts........
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 08:52:32 am »
Great idear, now I need to find a piece of stainless wire.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 12:19:30 pm »
Great idear, now I need to find a piece of stainless wire.

Dana regular old Tie(baling) Wire will work....so will a Copper Wire ...it's just that the Stainless Wire is stiffer and holds it's shape better...they will all get Hot!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 12:25:11 pm »
Ahhhhh, so the bottom one is off-set!   :)  Cool.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 03:47:35 pm »
Yankee I like the color pattern on that arrow its kinda different

Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 04:54:05 pm »
Yankee I like the color pattern on that arrow its kinda different

Dennis
Dennis....I cheated....thats an Arrow Wrap!!! Thats almost as Bad as a Plastic Nock!!!
2024...We Will Overcome