Author Topic: Bear Hides?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Bear Hides?
« on: April 06, 2017, 01:21:08 pm »
I meet Bruce and Cindy at Marshall last year and we got along very good together. We both had 5 year old grandson with us and they played together great. I don't know if Bruce is a member on the forum but he must check it out from time to time. He gave me a call about a week ago and said he saw that I tanned some hides. He asked if I wanted two Bear hides and of course I couldn't say no. He even brought the hides and Cindy to my place and we had a great time visiting and showing them around.

Anyway I've tanned Red Fox, mink,muskrat and Beaver. I've never done a Bear. Right now I'm wondering how big of a job it'll be? Are they thick hides that need a lot of thinning? I haven't even looked at them yet, they are still in bags in the dresser.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:20:34 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Bear Hides?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:31:06 pm »
I don't think they'll be quite as thick as your beaver.Thing is they can be greasy like a coon can be.I've owned a few bear hides in trade tanned already rendezvouing  with the buck skinners.They don't seem too terribly thick really.Age of the animal can be a factor on the thickness too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 02:03:12 pm »
Thanks Ed I was hoping you'd say that. I still have some of that degreaser and some of the chemical tan left. Maybe I'll give one a try. That'll probably make it turn into spring if I start that project lol. Beautiful day here. Winds blowing steady over 25 gusting over 50 mph 35 degrees nice big rain drops with ice in them. Gotta I love spring around here.
Bjrogg

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:09:45 pm »
I've never seen one skinned but I know they recommend the same grain 30-06 bullet for Black bear as they do for Whitetail Deer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:45:09 pm »
BJ, somebody gave me a very old bear hide rug.  Actually it was 2 bears sewed together to make one rug.  It was so old it would rip when picked it up.  It was so bad the claws were the only thing worth saving.  The leather didn't seem very thick.  It seemed thinner than a deer hide.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 03:33:00 am »
BJ - Bruce & Cindy are good Folk - Bruce is the one that walked Me through the Trade Gun build last Winter. Best of luck with the Hides  (=). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 08:02:13 am »
Thanks Eddie,
Thanks Clint, it's hard to say with a tanned hide because usually if it was thick to start with it's thinned in the tanning process.
Bob your right on about Bruce and Cindy. They are really nice people and just great to hang around with. Very easy to talk to. Cindy is really good coach for the kids shooting too. She probably could help me out too.
Bjrogg

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 03:14:12 pm »
BJ - It sounds just like Bruce & Cindy.  They are great friends to have.  My wife meets with Cindy about every other week for lunch.  They are not on this forum but if you ever want to get a message to them, its okay to relay through me.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 08:49:24 pm »
Thanks Matt, They are really good people and easy o talk to. They talked about you a quite a bit to. I appreciate to communicate help. I actually traded phone numbers with them at Marshall last year. I actually thought about them a lot and was very happy and surprised when Bruce called me. It was great seeing them. I wish the weather would have been nicer I would really have liked to show them around a little more but we had a good time.
Bjrogg