Author Topic: Spinning shoot shafts  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Spinning shoot shafts
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:22:18 am »
I know this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the thread, so I am at the point of spining my red osier dogwood shafts.  1.   Do I spine before or after I cut them to length?  2.  Do I spine to bow weight, heavier or lighter?  Btw, my bows are a 45# Actionbow fiberglass longbow(my first bow),  a 45# Shimbow recurve(actually my son's bow) and a 50# Bear Kodiak recurve, all rather on the old side.  I currently have cedar arrows, with a weight range of 521 gr to 598 gr, not sure of the spine, but supposedly 50#.   I will probably use store bought target/field points to get them started, and rest fire to see how they fly before fletching. 
Hawkdancer

Life is far too serious to be taken that way!  And the only dumb question is the one you don't ask😀
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Spinning shoot shafts
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:48 am »
Spine check them prior to cutting them. Some will have to be longer or shorter than the others to arrive at the same spine. Every inch of arrow over 28" weakens the spine about 3-5#, the opposite is true for every inch under 28" you go. For example: If you need a 50# 28" arrow and your shoots all spine around 60# you would need arrows no shorter than 31" to start tuning with.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Spinning shoot shafts
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:38:23 pm »
Usually if your shoots are all from the same patch they will be pretty close to each other in spine and mass weight if harvested yourself.If not I'd ask if they were from who you got them from.By that I mean your finished shafts will all practically look the same finished.Thickness/ length/and spine.Make one that shoots good.Pretty much copy what the specs are for the rest then.It's not that hard once you get the first one made.Then your on your way.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed