Author Topic: The Never ending build along.  (Read 7037 times)

Offline Drawknife

The Never ending build along.
« on: April 16, 2017, 02:44:43 am »
I have already come such a long way since beginning my primitive archery experience. I have almost  always shot exclusively traditional bows. About three weeks ago now I got the itch to make my own bow.  where to start YouTube of course and thus proceeded hours of watching all of Clay Hayes videos.  Now I have already started this build a long  so I'll catch up to speed and post as many pics as possible tomorrow.  I needed some place to carve and not having a vice  or a proper workbench,  I did the natural thing and built a shave horse.  I'll post pictures of that building process as well I picked up two draw knives:  A generic small no name brand and a 2 cherries drawknife.  Other tools I have used so far in this process are a complete set of Marple chisels.   I found an inexpensive piece of Osage and am about two thirds done chasing a ring.  The Osage I picked up has very very small rings and I have two minor violations and have decided to just back the bow.   That's where I am I'll try and get you caught up on pictures as well.  Let the shavings fly.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Drawknife

Re: The Never ending build along.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 02:47:12 am »
More pics of shave horse
Fred Bear

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 02:54:34 am »
The tools. This is much first build along btw any advice suggestions criticism is more than welcome. In fact will always be welcome no matter how good I get.
Fred Bear

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 02:56:17 am »
The Osage
Fred Bear

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 05:32:02 pm »
I almost forgot to explain.  The thread is titled the never ending build along because I have very limited fund and am expecting this to take a while to do. The lofty goal is to make a usable bow by this deer season. Anyone have experience with backings? Any particular backing you like and why?
Fred Bear

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 06:48:13 pm »
Looks like your off to a good start. Afraid I haven't backed very many bows, but I have used rawhide on a couple. Ive used osage with rings as thin as yours unbacked with no problems, but it needs an unviolated ring. On thin ringed osage I usually draw knife to one or two rings from the one I want and then switch to scraper for tha last ring or two. Good lighting and patience is the key.  :BB
Steve Bennett

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 06:51:34 pm »
Looks like you have a good start. Your draw knives will get you roughed out, but for tillering, youre gonna want a rasp of some kind. You have come to the right place... welcome!
For backing your first bow, I recomend rawhide not sinew. Titebond 3 will make a good glue.

Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 05:21:08 pm »
Great advice. I may indeed finish chasing this ring and then chase the one directly below with a scraper. What kind of rasp do you suggest?
Fred Bear

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 06:52:18 pm »
something like a Nicholson 49 if you can afford it. costs $50 but treat it nice and it will last a long time.
cheaper ones are fine too.... but I don't like the "four-in-hand" ones- too short.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"