Author Topic: Life Bookends  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Life Bookends
« on: April 16, 2017, 04:14:33 am »
Few days ago I wrote this on my fb page. Mostly to explain to family why this traditional/primitive archery hobby has become such a focus of my life. Thought some of you might be able to relate and stir up some good memories not savored in awhile. . . . . .

My current passion/hobby is traditional archery. And of particular interest is fashioning my own gear. In its most recent incarnation, this hobby is just 3 years old. So it's not surprising that friends or family members ask, "What got you interested in bows/arrows at this late stage of your life?" Well, a hint was dropped in the 2nd sentence.

My interest in a stick with string attached that could fling a feathered missile goes back into childhood. Back to the old Western movies I'd watch on Fri or Sat night. I was up way past my "weekend" bedtime. But Mom would be in bed and Dad was asleep in his chair. As long as he stayed asleep there was good chance I could see all of the movie. I learned to be quiet as an indian and I was usually rooting for them, though they always lost to the frontiersmen/cowboys in the end.
Often made own bows from a tree branch and piece of string. And cut notch in end of stick and called it an arrow.

And then, at probably 12-yrs (so would be 1959), I chanced to walk past an archery shop in Plymouth, IN ... how this smalltown kid happened to be in the county seat metropolis of Plymouth by myself is another story.
I walked in that shop. Wall to wall ..... bow upon bow upon bow. Arrows everywhere. And all the associated gear. There were some wood bows. But mostly what was on display were the new fangled fibreglass bows. Fibreglass bows made by this guy named Fred Bear and produced not that far away in Michigan! Beautiful bows!
I have no idea how long I wandered that shop. How many circles of the shop and its wares I made. But it was a long time. That was the beginning of my fascination with bows and arrows.

So this traditional/primitive archery thingy has represented bookends of my life.
I expect there are more interesting tales within this PA community of the role archery has played in the lives of its members.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:24:53 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Life Bookends
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:59:35 am »
Good story Mike. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 08:01:25 am »
Wonderfully written!!! Even though our body's are not of the same age (29) here, our souls are kindred spirits.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 08:06:31 am »
A good story well told Mike.
 :OK

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 11:35:32 am »
Mike the two most asked questions I get. What made you get started doing this? And second is Are you going to shoot a deer with that? Those are the titles to two of the articles I sent to Primitive Archer Magazine. Actually the second one I just finished this morning. That's what I love about this magazine and site. Just real down to earth stories from people who share this same unexplainable passion.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 01:06:25 pm »
Nice story

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 02:35:21 pm »
Thanks, Mike. There is something about Bear bows that just draw me to them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 03:16:19 pm »
Eddie a friend of mine borrowed me one he got for $20. He never uses it but didn't want to sell it to me, just told me to keep it for him. I don't know age but it is a very nice bow, still shoots great. I should take some pictures of it and send them to you. I'd like to know more about it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 10:32:16 pm »
My first bow was/is a Bear Tigercat. Bought it from a high school buddy and I still have it. I think I paid 20 bucks for it back in 73 while I was in the Navy..?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 04:27:16 am »
Nice story and feel sure that is how lots of folks got started. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 09:44:38 am »
Nice story Mike.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 01:32:11 pm »
It's in the blood, I tell ya.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline shofu

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 10:07:11 pm »
That's a great story.  I love how a moment or experience early in life manifest later and you get a feeling or 'it all makes sense'
G
Cheers,
George

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 11:20:50 pm »
Yep, George.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline shofu

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 01:36:32 am »
Allright so for me, I was raised a pacifist and was not allowed to play with even toy guns.  I became a vegetarian at age 15 and didn't eat meat for more than 25 years.  I stumbled upon archery at the local country fair and in one moment my whole world changed. Worlds collided and now I feel like I have come home.

-I was trained as a guitar builder but was never very good at playing, and only rich people can afford custom guitars.  I remember learning that the guitar evolved from the primitive bow and then my life made sense - I could make bows ( and I am not as bad a shot as I am a guitar player)
-I became vegetarian initially 27 yrs ago because I broke into a chicken factory as a teenager to skateboard,  and in the restricted area, the things I saw in cages didn't look nothing like chickens - more like tumors with wings.
-I live on a hobby farm and have raised milk goats & laying hens, have a big garden.  I have no problem with anyone growing their own meat but it never appealed to me.  I discovered archery and in a moment I knew I would hunt deer with bow and string and I would eat meat again!
-My dad's side of the family is from England, specifically Nottingham Forest as far back as we can trace.  So the legend in the family is that we are descendants of Robin Hood (though my dad thinks Will Scarlet, I think Friar Tuck...) So as JW_Halverson says, maybe: it's in the blood

Maybe more than you wanted to know, but I have never joined another forum and this is more than most of my friends know about me.  I guess this makes me weird or you all community...

Thanks Mike for giving me something to relate to,
G
Cheers,
George