Author Topic: Arrows and occasional bounce?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Ben Cooper

Arrows and occasional bounce?
« on: April 17, 2017, 04:32:52 am »
Hi all, i have recently made a few arrows from 9mm tasmanian oak... i dont measure spine but i do make sure the arrows are all the same weight. The fletchings are from duck feathers and are 5" long.
Every now and then i have the arrow bounce off the bow... is this because there is not enough flex in the spine? Should i reduce them are little more?

Regards
Ben

Offline loon

Re: Arrows and occasional bounce?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 05:07:16 am »
I think the release should be like ripping the hand out of the string, and not collapsing, not to the side.
Could be deviation in spine I guess. Apparently tapered shafts (nock end thinner) are more spine forgiving...

Maybe you could mark or crest the arrows differently, see if you notice a pattern?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:41:31 am »
Spine is more critical than weight. If you have an arrow that flies well compare the others to it as far as spine. A simple spine tester is to put 2 nails in the side of your work bench at 26" apart and hang a 2# weight from the good arrow and mark the deflection. Now check your other arrows and sand the stiff ones until they deflect the same.
 If your arrows fly well generally it could be your release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:18:32 am »
Can you tell if it is the same arrows hitting the bow or is it random and they fly normally most of the time?

Offline Ben Cooper

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:55:32 am »
Thanks Pat b, making the spines the same fixed the issue... even though 1 is now alot skinnier than the other, they now bend the same and seem to be flying the same. I have made more arrows since and made sure they bend the same & all is good atm.

Regqrds
Ben

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 05:53:57 pm »
Was there a big difference in their deflection?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ben Cooper

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 05:51:12 am »
The arrow that shot the best bent close to 1", so i made all my arrows bend that much, the arrow that was bouncing on occasion was only bending slightly when i added the weight... at least half an inch less spine.