Author Topic: Local version of the Scorton Silver Arrow Tournament (Pics added!)  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

I do most of my shooting with the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) and this past weekend we held what we hope to become the premier period shoot for Trimaris (the local kingdom for Florida), The Argent Arrow. It's our take on the Scorton Silver Arrow Tournament, the longest running documented sporting event in the world. We placed a standard 60cm target butt at 100yrds and we shot 10 rounds of 6 arrows. The five archers who hit closest to the center after all ten rounds won 1st-5th place. I won 2nd place! Afterwards we shot for distance and I won that handily shooting my laminate turkish bow with a standard target arrow (33" and roughly 500gr) and while we didn't have it measured off it was clearly at least 225 yrds! For 1st place in the distance shoot I was awarded a 1/4 oz silver coin and for 2nd place in the Argent Arrow shoot I was awarded a 1oz silver coin! I'll add some photos once they're available.

Everyone getting ready to start

A few rounds in

Taking a break

The winners and their shots

The winning flight shot (that is the target behind me that was a hundred yards from the shooting line)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:50:15 am by Urufu_Shinjiro »

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Local version of the Scorton Silver Arrow Tournament
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:38:07 pm »
Quite the day for ya. Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: Local version of the Scorton Silver Arrow Tournament (Pics added!)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:55 am »
Pics added!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:11:15 am »
Congratulations Urufu looks like you didn't miss 1st in the 100 yard target shoot by much either
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 10:19:25 am »
Oh yeah, it was very close, lol.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 10:21:34 am »
Oh, and the kid in the blue is my oldest boy shooting my old manchu style bow. He didn't hit the target but he got close and was making the range, he even overshot a few.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:18:23 am »
Cool  (SH) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:07:00 am »
Cool Urufu.Congrats.Nice large area to do that in there.That's fun.We do a version of that at Mo Jam on saturday every year.Lots of fun too.They call it the clout shoot.Prizes are donated hand made items from shooters there.
After the results are tallied we have a shoot off between the top ten arrows and shooters at an undisclosed distance from the range master.Then whoever gets the closest with that one arrow wins the contest.That distance could be anywhere from 50 yards to 200 yards determined by the range master in charge.Winner gets first pick of items and so on down to 10th place.It does cost $1.00 per arrow though throughout the contest.A nice way to support the local bow club who puts the event on.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 10:13:44 am »
That sounds pretty cool, Ed. I may run that past my local range, just like a bimonthly novelty shoot or something, set up one of the clubs 3D targets at a random range and charge a dollar an arrow, would be neat. For some reason I tend to be way better at these long distance shoots than even at the 20yrd or 30yrd, and they're way fun!

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:08 am »
Looks like a lot of great fun!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin