Author Topic: Ethical vs. legal wood harvesting  (Read 10146 times)

Offline shofu

Ethical vs. legal wood harvesting
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:57:57 pm »
So not sure if this is a 'don't ask don't tell' topic but how do you all go about harvesting wood for bows? I know the default answer is get permission or permit but I am guessing that that doesn't always cover everything...

i.e. last week I found an amazing grove of 'old growth' ironwood (Ocean Spray - Holodiscus Discolor).  It was on a parcel for sale slated for development for new housing.  I was considering contacting realtor and asking about harvesting some.  I went away for the Easter weekend and when I drove by today the whole place was clearcut! All the *3-5.5" diameter stave and knot free staves were stuffed in slash piles for burning!

This is their property and obviously legal - but shouldn't it be a crime to burn such things? Don't get me started on what they do with yew while logging...

Anyhow - do I scavenge the slash before burning or just be sad and hope for a better future?

*most OS is 1-1.5" in diameter

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
George
Cheers,
George

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ethical vs. legal wood harvesting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:06:44 pm »
Talk to tree services, arborist or folks clearing power right of ways.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:12:21 pm »
This shouldn't even be a question. >:D

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 12:24:32 am »
Go get some! Cheers- Brendan

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:32:39 am »
Don't ask, don't tell, and move real fast before it is charcoal and ashes!👹👹👹😀!  It is gone any way!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline shofu

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 01:45:58 am »
Thanks Pat B for towing the line and being on the straight and narrow (also good attributes for bows unless I am mistaken?)
Pat M - that is a little cryptic and good use of emojis! ;)
penderbender - thanks for your honesty: are you on Pender Island, B.C.??
Hawkdancer - I confess when I saw this I pulled over and grabbed a 7' 3.5" clear stave that was already cut.  I justified it in my mind that I would split it and give half to DC for his ongoing OS research (this is very intriguing wood!).  It is so easy to justify something the authorities say is wrong if you feel righteous about it - does that make me a criminal
/? If so, why don't I feel guilty? (maybe a wood sociopath?)
Cheers,
G
Cheers,
George

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 03:08:29 am »
 I attempt to ask the land owner for permission. I've never been refused yet. If I can't track down the owner I leave it. If it's been on the ground more than a week and on public land I consider it fair game.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:03:59 am by Lucasade »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 03:41:26 am »
Look at it this way: you are doing this people favor by taking their wood! They are going to burn this wood and you know that burning wood takes time and physical effort, and you as a good citizen can take this wood and those people will have less work to do. You are actually good guy in this story.

;) ;) ;)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 06:21:11 am »
Where I live most everyone knows everyone. I don't dare cut someone's trees without their permission. Having said that I have no problem getting permission to harvest a few trees when people see what I'm using them for. From my experience the more people that know what I'm doing, the more stuff that finds its way to me.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 07:01:49 am »
ask (if possible) than  )W(

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 08:10:17 am »
Always, always ask.  If they say no, suck it up and move on.  It's just wood.  It grows on trees, don'tchaknow.

There could be a hundred reasons why they wouldn't want to say yes, and if it's on their property they have every right to the decision.  Whether you think their reason for keeping it / holding it doesn't make sense is never up to you. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 08:18:05 am »
We're talking about developers wiping out the whole forest here. If they are OK with that they can suck up people salvaging the scraps.

Whenever I see a sign indicating someone has successfully submitted a re-zoning application  to put a subdivision on top of a borderline protected nature preserve and the entire habitat will be reduced to brush piles, I'm going in.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 08:41:13 am »
PatM, I second that. In my case, when I see people cutting everything that stands in their way, acres of this; taking just few 5" trees is not going to mean anything to them.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 08:57:22 am »
In a case like this...mountain bike and a bow saw.  Secret Squirrel.  I have my wife pick me up at the predesignated extraction site on the fly. ;D
1’—>1’

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 09:12:06 am »
I have pulled osage logs out of a huge brush pile while they were lighting the other end on fire. The land owner was standing at the pile when I happened by. I had seen the osage in the pile for a few weeks but didn't know who owned the land so I left it alone.

Because of my honesty, after I explained to the land owner that I saw the wood but wouldn't touch it without permission he pointed across the road to about 100 more acres of standing trees and said" cut all you want over there, we are going to clear it off in the future".

Another time I was walking in a patch of woods near my house and ran into an old man. I asked if he knew who owned the land because I had seen a couple of osage trees I would like to cut. He said" why don't you just cut it, no one will know". I told him if I didn't have permission I wouldn't cut any trees on the place, it was just the way I operate. Next he said" I own this land cut all you want". This is where I cut my very first osage tree and 20 years later I still have a stave from it under my house.

The thing about some people is they tell themselves a lie to justify their criminal behavior(stealing wood) such as "no one will miss a little bit of wood", buy into their lie and proceed.

With a little leg work, research and phone calls you can have more wood than you know what to do with. Although I have given a bunch of it away, I have had three lifetimes worth of osage cut and stored in the past, all cut with permission.

Because of age and back surgery my osage cutting days are over but I still have at least a lifetime worth of osage cut and stored.