Author Topic: Ethical vs. legal wood harvesting  (Read 10144 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Ethical vs. legal wood harvesting
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 09:24:01 am »
This has to be thought about in ethics. I don't care about laws that the government comes up with when my actions hurt no one. When it's federal or state land, I'll do what I can to get a permit, only because it's everyone's land and its needs to be managed properly. If I get denied a permit for a juniper tree that grows in every square foot of this area for a 1000 miles, just because it's within 100 feet of a stream, sorry, but it's becoming a bow. Private property is another story, it's theirs, including their burn pile, let alone its not ok just to be walking through private property. I don't know what their plan is, so I think permission from the land owner is a must. Ask, most people won't say no.

Eric
Eric

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 09:27:08 am »
Must be trespassing is legal in Alabama, Eric K.?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 09:38:48 am »
I see your point Pearl and you are right. The land I met the old man on had city sidewalks running through it that had fallen into disrepair, the tree I cut was growing out of one of the sidewalks. I was indeed trespassing because I didn't know if the city or someone else owned the land. The land was not posted with no trespassing signs but I don't know it that is a requirement in Bama, as that neither here nor there because I didn't have direct permission to be there until I met the land owner.

Since that first day I have never ventured onto someones land looking for wood without first getting permission.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:45:23 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 10:16:15 am »
I have always thought if I ran out of places to cut wood I would place and ad in the local free classified or on Craig's list stating "good money paid for straight, standing osage trees". The trees are considered trash wood to every one who has them and a lot of people want them gone. Post some pictures of hedge apples on the ground for those who don't know one tree from another.

You could access the stave quality of a tree and pay accordingly, say $100 for a tree that might yield 10 staves or more.

I haven't taken such a route because I have plenty of osage but if I didn't I believe this would work.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 10:16:21 am »
I'm with Pat m, if they are clearling/burning a bunch of land, Get in there and get some wood. Yes I live on beautiful  pender island George. Hopefully I'll get to meet you at the wood bow  gathering in september. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 10:27:45 am »
My point is; if they are clearing land and burning wood it is not that hard to walk over to the bulldozer operator or loggers and ask who you could talk to about cutting a little wood. I have done it many times, all my wood was cut in front of a bulldozer, mostly for city land development for either subdivisions of commercial development.

My biggest score was on 650 acres of land they were developing for a new golf course. We cut wood for a month solid and got so sick of looking at osage we finally let the bulldozers have the rest of it it. My hands and fingers looked like swollen stuffed sausages after I finished debarking and removing the sapwood from all those staves with my drawknife.

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 11:00:56 am »
There is just something about people  completely demolishing nature that makes me not want to  be so polite.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 11:16:12 am »
...pave paradise and put up a parking lot!   :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 11:49:34 am »
I would split it and give half to DC for his ongoing OS research (this is very intriguing wood!).  Cheers,
G

Thank you George

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 12:50:01 pm »
I cut LOTS of wood, and it is always with the permission of the land owner. I have found that when you tell them what it is for, a lot smile (I think) thinking of their days as a youth and are more than glad to let you cut some wood. Remember cash is king, but a little brush clearing, or some other sort of labor offered makes people believe you are truly grateful, something a lot of younger people don't offer these days. (sorry younger guys)

You may even gain a new friendship, and another hunting area....just my thoughts.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 03:15:26 pm »
The way I see it I cannot read someone elses' mind or assume what they think.Neither can the power to be to talk to about getting bow wood about me.To do that is just as much an insult as what I think the waste of the trees are going through.That's why respectable communication helps.If I don't give them respect how is it can I think they give me respect.A lot of trouble comes from misunderstandings and that stems from lack of proper communication or assuming they think the same way I do.
Just because getting a little sympathetic backing comes from PA members on here I'll garauntee you will not hold any water when the focus is at you from them with ethics not being the topic,and you won't get nothing more then verbal support from the sympathizers leaving you high and dry.
I'm on your side for getting good bow wood and will not lead you on.I don't like being told what to do any more then anybody else but if I'm on the side that gave me permission I really don't care what others think.Most people will agree as to not liking to see something go to waste.I just take care of it myself then after talking to them without involving anybody else.
One thing I do do impulsively without permission and that is cut dogwood for arrows from ditches.100% of the land owners here feel as though dogwood is a pain and invasive and want to get rid of it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 12:27:20 pm »
This is just a hunch, but I'm guessing land owners might feel more strongly about someone sneaking in and cutting trees then non landowners. I do own land and if someone asked me if they could cut a tree for a bow I'd help them pick and cut it. If I caught them sneaking on my property and taking it I'd be very upset. I really think if you just ask, you might not get permission right away. There are many legal reasons someone wouldn't want to be responsible for allowing someone on their property. Especially doing something risky like cutting down trees. If you talk politely to someone in charge or working the site, chances are real good if you leave your phone number you'll get a call for more wood than you can use. Just my hunch
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 01:55:46 pm »
Beadman, I think I agree with you, but not sure about this sentence, which is, perhaps, a direct literal translation from attic Greek:  "Neither can the power to be to talk to about getting bow wood about me." Huh? ;-)

Back in '98, I think, we had a big bad ice storm in Maine. I drove to work every day seeing trees down everywhere. Along I-95, there were a lot of black locusts down and that's one of the better bow woods that grows in Maine.

I called the MDOT and talked to some official and told him I would like to stop along the interstate and cut some of it to make bows. I assured  him I would have a flashing yellow light on my van and would park well off the road.

He said he couldn't officially give me permission but he didn't think anybody would bother me. Well, I got to explain that two separate  times to Maine State Troopers, who both told me to be careful and to let that be the only instance.

The state subsequently contracted to have all the down or standing locust cut, chipped and used for biofuel.

It was an interesting adventure.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Emmet

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 10:16:43 pm »
Unless you have permission, picking through a slash pile is trespassing and theft.
 If that doesn't bother you then why even ask what others think.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 12:32:54 am »
This has to be thought about in ethics. I don't care about laws that the government comes up with when my actions hurt no one. When it's federal or state land, I'll do what I can to get a permit, only because it's everyone's land and its needs to be managed properly. If I get denied a permit for a juniper tree that grows in every square foot of this area for a 1000 miles, just because it's within 100 feet of a stream, sorry, but it's becoming a bow.

HMMM...

I wonder how that would work,if other people,had this same attitude.Thats probably why some of these laws were passed.
Better hope the judge is a sympathetic bowyer,with a sense of humor.