Author Topic: Ethical vs. legal wood harvesting  (Read 10145 times)

Offline shofu

Re: Ethical vs. legal wood harvesting
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 02:05:47 am »
Thanks everyone for input! Didn't meant to stir the pot, I have my gut and I have my mind and I use both to make decisions.
I went to the site yesterday but they were too busy cutting down trees and piling them to burn.  I went back today with a case of beer and talked to the excavator operator.  I told him that I wanted to save the ironwood and make bows and I gave him the beer in good faith, win or lose. 
He figured I had a decent chance, took my card and said he would ask owner and to come back tomorrow.
Fingers crossed!
I will let you know how it goes.
Cheers,
George
Cheers,
George

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 04:41:08 am »
you made the best move!  :OK

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 05:42:16 am »
I hope it works out for you shofu. I really think that's the best way to go. If you can find a contact that works sites like this regularly I think you have a great chance of being buried in wood. It might not be this site but those guys will be working different sites in time. Hopefully you get the thumbs up from the owner, you get two from me. :OK :OK
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 05:45:11 am »
I hate seeing things go to waste as much as the next guy, but unless I am on my own land I always ask
permission before stepping foot on anyone else property. I expect no less if someone wants to come onto my property . :) You made the right call George win or loose. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 08:19:57 am »
Send me the beer, and I'll send you a written permission slip  ;)  O:)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 08:28:20 am »
Jim...Power to be was meant to describe the owner of the land.I don't speak Greek.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 11:30:34 am »
This must be where that beg forgiveness versus ask permission saying comes from.  ;)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 02:26:49 pm »
Thanks everyone for input! Didn't meant to stir the pot, I have my gut and I have my mind and I use both to make decisions.
I went to the site yesterday but they were too busy cutting down trees and piling them to burn.  I went back today with a case of beer and talked to the excavator operator.  I told him that I wanted to save the ironwood and make bows and I gave him the beer in good faith, win or lose. 
He figured I had a decent chance, took my card and said he would ask owner and to come back tomorrow.
Fingers crossed!
I will let you know how it goes.
Cheers,
George

Several years ago there was a piece of land being developed near me, it used to be a Hospital of more than 100 years of age.  Someone had planted a couple Yew trees, I presume around the time the Hospital was built.  I asked the developer if the trees were being removed, he said no.  A week later I went by and the trees were gone, nothing more than a few roots sticking out of the ground
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 03:15:31 pm »
This must be where that beg forgiveness versus ask permission saying comes from.  ;)
I thought that one was saved for the wife.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 03:56:44 pm »
It's not that all surprising people not even imagining that wooden bows are being made yet.I know many around here give me a very quizzical look when I tell them what I'm up to lately.
Seems too many times trees are looked at as a nuisance and are assumed thought of as the same by everyone.Or a commodity to turn into other things besides bows.Mostly money.Just not connected to what trees do for the wildife also.I think education is part of the problem here too.Along with a complete attitude adjustment against the wasteful throw away attitude society has nowadays.I'm not a member of the Arbor society because I can never get their little gifted blue spruce trees to grow.
Just not enough bow makers out there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 04:03:49 pm »
I think bjrogg hit the nail on the head for private land. Imagine looking out your window and seeing a total stranger cutting down one of your trees. Now public land, don't get me started >:( >:( >:(

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 04:06:19 pm »
I, like most will ask the owner first.  That way I'm not sweating bullets, looking over my shoulder if I'm cutting it without asking. 

Offline willie

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 04:48:49 pm »
Now public land, don't get me started

Asking a desk jockey for permission can be an exercise in futility.  I just ask the head of enforcement.

Either you will be told you are prohibited, in no uncertain terms, or you might get the respect of a fellow "shooter", and given some helpful suggestions, as to how to proceed.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 12:33:19 pm »
Land developers are typically short sighted, especially with the real estate these days. Many times high-grade fir logs are cut into firewood because of land-owner ignorance. Thousands of dollars lost.

Don't mess with private land without permission. Parks are a huge no-no. Crown land being used for timber resource harvesting, its a Canadian citizens right to freely collect non-timber resources from Crown land. However many of the licence holders are trying to restrict access to these area's illegally.  Mushroom picking/cone collecting wouldn't have a leg to stand on legally if it wasn't for this right.

The salal industry is un-regulated and thought to be in the millions. Many salal outfits are of foreign nationals without citizenship. The Forest enforcement officers don't even bat an eye when they see a massive pile of salal in the back of a toyota.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:36:25 pm by Tree_Ninja »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2017, 01:42:00 pm »
I don't know about the rest of the country but in Florida to trespass on a construction site is a felony. To trespass on someone else's property without Written permission is a felony. And if you have a pocket knife it is called armed trespass, a go to prison, felony trespass.

They will help  teach you respect for other people's property down here if your parents didn't. It's not worth going to jail or no longer able to own a firearm for me to cut down the crappy wood that is down here without permission.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?