Author Topic: Ethical vs. legal wood harvesting  (Read 10142 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Ethical vs. legal wood harvesting
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2017, 01:49:01 pm »
You Floridians and your felonies...give them out like candy! Two states I would not want to get caught breaking the law....Florida, and Texas!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2017, 05:05:34 pm »
That's the way it is in cattle country.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2017, 06:33:59 pm »
When in doubt, it is always good to err on the legal side of any issue. Its just not worth it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 12:26:32 pm »
Also keep in mind that when you approach the operator or landowner, you're educating them.  You can't really blame them for wasting wood that we consider valueable, because commercially it's not. 

I was working in arkansas recently and started a tree cookie collection.  I actually got stopped by wildlife LEO's because I was cutting slices off existing stumps.  That's right, I almost got in big trouble because I was trimming stumps that the forest service cut!!!  Luckily I had a firewood permit that satisfied them. 

I also would have gotten into trouble for the BIG red oak cookie I took...from a 31" red oak that fell across the road, that I generously cleared for them.  That was a job.  31" red oak with a Stihl 251.  Should have sent them a bill.

I also wanted a princess/empress cookie.  It grows invasive in AR.  They cut it and spray poison on it and it is extremely undesirable.  Fastest growing hardwood in the world.  I was told even with a firewood permit I couldn't cut one.  Imagine that.  I cannot confirm nor deny whether I found one that beavers killed and therefore qualified as dead/down for my firewood permit.

I do think it's a lot different between public land where we all pay taxes (lots and lots of taxes) for saplings that aren't commercially important and no one cares about but we can't cut because of dumb red tape, and the guy that sneaks into church yards at night to cut ancient yew trees and gives BS reasons to justify himself that amounts to "I just wanna".

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:37 pm »
To say no one cares in regards to Public lands is to imply that you asked the opinion of every tax payer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2017, 04:12:45 pm »
If it mattered what the average tax payer thought, forest management would look a lot different.  Maybe better, probably worse.