Author Topic: An email to Nelson  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

An email to Nelson
« on: April 18, 2017, 01:19:12 pm »
I just had my second pint of Unibond set up on its own in the frig, no more Unibond for me.

I sent this email to the Nelson Paint Company, I am sure they could care less;

"I just had my second pint of Unibond set up on its own in my frig, hard as a rock. I am a bow maker and was a real Urac fan, great stuff, it never set up in the frig even after more than a year.

I understand from other bow makers that their Unibond has set up as well, not good.

Sure wish you could revive the old Urac formula. It is too expensive to pay the glue cost and the outrageous Hazmat shipping only to find the shelf life of your glue is a very short time.

Time for me to move on to a new glue, Smooth-on perhaps. If you revive the old Urac formula I will be the first in line to buy some.

I am a small fish in a big pond and don't expect a response to my email
but though I should give you a bow makers opinion, there are thousands of us out there, almost all of us Urac fans".

Offline Parnell

Re: An email to Nelson
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 01:31:10 pm »
Interesting.  I've had smooth on that has been holding on for several years in my cabinet.  Still good.
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 01:42:25 pm »
Nelson is a small Michigan UP company, don't be surprised if you get a cordial reply. Maybe even some advice or info as to why you have that happening. Smooth-On is much better, I would switch over all the same. I'm out of Unibond and will buy Smooth On next time I need some epoxy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 04:15:34 pm »
I did get a very nice reply that may indicate I caused the problem, I kept it too long and put it in the frig like I did with Urac, both a no-no.

I did get this from Ralph Renfro, another bow maker;

Ralph Renfro Eric, what glue were you using that had set up. I'm only using Smooth On now. Loved Urac but loath the Unibond. Finally quit it after the third can was opened that had already set up. Nelson wouldn't stand behind it, so now it's only Smooth On.

And this from Nelson;

Good afternoon Eric,

I did a little looking into this as I have not had any complaints in regards to the Uni bond at least called in or emailed to me.  We do not manufacture not make the Uni Bond as we are just a distributor for their product so anything with the formula or complaints on the new one would have to be directed to them.

I did some research into the shelf life and storage and did find that shelf life is only a year but also needs to be at a room temp setting for it to last that long. It will last 12 months at 60° F and about 6 months at 75° F. Even if the old formula did last past a year dependent on conditions we can never guarantee it past the recommended shelf life and storing in a fridge. If the temperature is below that 60° that would definitely make the product rock hard.

I'm not sure as far as how long the Unibond had been sitting in the fridge as I do see your last order was Sept of 2015. We would definitely hate to lose you as a customer, but main thing is just making sure that everything is properly stored for the right shelf life. If you do have concerns in the formula please refer them directly to Unibond. I did also attach our most recent SDS on the product as well if you would like to read through there.

Have a great day and hope we can help you in the future

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:53:33 pm »
I love it when a company sells a product they won't stand behind. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:51 pm »
I love it when a company sells a product they won't stand behind. ::)

Yup
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:21:53 pm »
I have always been a smoothon user
I even use it after a few years of sitting around the shop
have no idea what this other stuff is
I have played with west systems with good results but it is very different from Smoothon
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !