Author Topic: Quiver Bark  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Quiver Bark
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:04:46 pm »
I like using bark from trees that have been dead for about a year to make my Birch bark quivers; the bark undergoes a process in that time that bonds the layers together.   My supply was starting to get low and there was a good size tree, about 14" at the butt, close to the trail I use for hauling my firewood in the Winter.  I could tell from looking at the branches that it had died at least a year ago so I cut it down for my shop  )W(.  I examined the bark as I was cutting the tree up into stove lengths and saw that it looked fairly thick so decided to cut a couple longer pieces out of the tree so that I could save the bark.  I decided to take some pics as I peeled the logs just to show my process.

Here is one of the logs before peeling.

Next I have made a cut down the length of the log, the log is roughly 30" long, and carefully start to peel the bark back.  The bark on dead trees peels easily in early Spring.  You can see in the picture that on this tree the bark did not entirely bond together.  What was left was in good condition though

Here you can see in these 2 pictures the bark has been peeled back and the 2 peeled logs.

The last thing I do is roll up the bark and tie it off so that it dries and sets in the rolled up shape.

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Quiver Bark
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:53:18 pm »
That's pretty sweet. I wanna try that with some bitter cherry bark. You should do a little build along when you get around to it. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:03:04 pm »
Marc, I still have that roll of canoe bark you sent me many years ago. Never got around to making a quiver.  Do you think I can rehydrate it to make it more usable now?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:13:51 am »
Those looks good.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:23:02 pm »
Marc, I still have that roll of canoe bark you sent me many years ago. Never got around to making a quiver.  Do you think I can rehydrate it to make it more usable now?

I don't even bother hydrating the bark Pat, unless you want to make something else out of it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 10:22:52 am »
Great post.Love the natural overall useses of birch bark.I've made containers out of smaller branched birch bark before being not blessed with larger birch trees around here.Worked great.I would think making a quiver you would have to leave it quite thick yet to handle the abuse.
I know from popping bark off of hickory which I have a lot of I want to someday make a quiver from that too.It is extremely hard thick stuff.Plus it shrinks quite a bit while drying so it has to be tied around at least a 4" pvc tube till dry.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed