Author Topic: Sanders  (Read 2966 times)

Offline DC

Sanders
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:11:46 pm »
I'm looking for advise on detail sanders. Lately my arthritis is affecting my thumbs and that's what I use to hold sandpaper for all the little nooks and crannies. A few hours of sanding and I'm done for a couple of days. I have a 5" orbital Bosch 3283 that works great for bodywork but it shakes the bow so hard there is no control. Is there a small sander that does a decent job and doesn't cost a fortune for special adhesive backed paper? 

Offline Stoker

Re: Sanders
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:02:27 pm »
I have one of those vibrating tools.. Cuts, scrapes and sands.. Pending on which tool head you have.. I bought the Mastercraft at Canadain tire.. BUY THE KIT.. Goes on sale quite often.. Sanding has the velcro backing.. I buy 2'' Velcro at the fabric stor and glue it to any kind or grit of sand paper and doesn't cost a fortune.. The Black and Decker mouse is good too same goes for the paper
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:33:40 pm »
I have the same problem dc, arthritis in the wrists bad, i try and always wear wrist wraps , keeps the pressure on the wrists and helps a lot, i use a block sander as much as i can it is becoming one of my favorite tools
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:09:50 pm »
The thing that surprised me was those foam blocks with the grit glued on them. They work well and last a long time. They don't reach into the curves around the handle that well though.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 05:05:06 pm »
I'm taking the same advice.  Crushed my right hand in an accident when I was 21, so sanding/scraping is much more of a chore than it should be.  Got a HF 20% off coupon I plan on using, too.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 06:22:31 pm »
All of those vibrating tools wear on my wrists after a short time, i last longer with a sanding block

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 06:34:21 pm »
Never thought of that. Crap, another decision. ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 04:32:45 am »
I have a palm sander that works pretty well but to be honest I do very little sanding, I usually have it slicked up pretty darn good with the cabinet scrapper by the time I am finished tillering. I may hit it a few licks with sand paper before sealing but I sure don't have to spend a lot of time sanding. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 08:49:55 am »
Never use power sanders and I do a fair bit of sanding, my shoulders let me know after a sanding fit.  All of my finish tillering is done with sandpaper and I do all the sanding on the Harps I build by hand.  I use the non-disposable hand sanding blocks and always use the best grade sandpaper I can buy.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:40 am »
OK you talked me out of a detail sander. I have some sanding blocks from my car days but they all seem too hard. They tend to leave a bit of a faceted surface. It doesn't take much sandpaper only work to sort that out though. What kind of sanding blocks do you use? Is there a soft faced kind that I haven't seen?

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 12:10:54 pm »
I use those little rubber ones they are about 3"wide and 4-5" long
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:51:35 pm by bubby »

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 04:20:34 pm »
Is that supposed to say "rubber" ;D ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 04:51:43 pm »
Like this?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 07:52:57 pm »
OK you talked me out of a detail sander. I have some sanding blocks from my car days but they all seem too hard. They tend to leave a bit of a faceted surface. It doesn't take much sandpaper only work to sort that out though. What kind of sanding blocks do you use? Is there a soft faced kind that I haven't seen?

This is what I use

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 07:53:03 pm »
Yeah RUBBER lol i fixed it, just like that is what i use, get them  at yard sales a buck and under