Author Topic: Prepping carp skin  (Read 2198 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Prepping carp skin
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:01:45 pm »
I caught a slob of a carp in my dad's pond today (they've completely taken over). Cooked the meat up for the pooch and did the best I could skinning the thing. Currently it's soaking in dish soap and water. Next I was going to tack it to a plank and let it dry. Am I doing this correctly? I've never prepped a fish skin before. Thanks
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Prepping carp skin
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:19:39 pm »
I've never done one yet Upstate, sounds right but I think you have to pull  scales out. I'm guessing before dry. I think Pearl once told me he uses a pliers to pull scales out. Hopefully someone else can give you the whole run down.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 10:39:20 pm »
For smoking carp I used to run a long bladed knife up under and against the grain of the scales and take all the scales off rather quickly just like filleting a fish instead of puling them out 1 by 1.Washing them in dawn dish soap should be good enough and tacking them out to dry flesh side up.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:47:34 pm »
Cool. Thanks guys ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 07:42:39 am »
That won't work on the carp we have here. I had to use a pair of pliars and carefully remove them one at a time.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:56:23 am »
I remove scales the same way as beadman. I use a heavy knife to fillet the carp anyway. So I just use the spine of the blade. It gets off about 80-90% of the scales with a few that need to be pulled off individually. Then I skin, flesh, and wash in dawn the same. You can even roll then up and freeze then if you want until ready to use. A little tip if you dry them. Make sure the scale flaps that make the pattern are layed out properly before letting it dry. They won't move once cured, even when rehydrated. Atleast not to the extent of when fresh.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:22:24 am »
DWS.....Most people need to be shown how to do it.I've done dozens while smoking carp.
Mo is right.Watch the scale flap colors when drying.Smooth them out with the grain.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:48:43 am »
How about a few details on the method. I'll try anything once. It doesn't damage that membrane that's attached to each scale?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 10:55:18 am »
Nope.The scales are removed while on the fillet.A lot harder with just the skin alone.That's the difference.Whatever works for ya.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 09:43:41 pm »
Mooncatcher's procedure is exactly what I do. Also I found freezing skins wet does not harm them so I do that rather than drying to store them.

Offline kismet

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 02:50:09 pm »
  I found this in the search of the forum.  Timo made some awesome bows out of lots of different skins.  Hope this helps.

Stan

Offline Timo

View Profile
 Personal Message (Offline)

Re: paddlefish backing

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:07:52 pm »

I've tried many kinds of fish skins,and treat them all the same.

Scaled fish(carp, etc)  must be scaled before you skin them.

Scrape/flesh skins very well,being sure to remove all oil pockets.I scrape with a fine serrated butter knife,kinda works like a tootheing plane.

Scrub skins with a stiff brush and in dawn dish soap,rinse well,wash again,rinse well.

Keep both sides of the fish together,cause colors/patterns vary between fish. measure and freeze,being sure to label them.

I've found that fresh skins lay down alot better than dried skins.

If you have to dry them, lay them out flat on a slick board of such.I like cabinet shelving,(melamine) ?(sp), It's very slick and the skins,once dry will come off better.With the flesh side down,and tack them out,stretching as you go. Keep your tacks close and you'll get a better job.Keep a fan blowing air over them and they will dry perty quick.After dry pull tacks,trim edges,roll up and store in a freezer bag.No need to freeze them for they will keep. Apply them like rawhide.(I always thin mine on the belt sander before I apply dried skins.)

A note about grass carp skins if you are gonna dry them: Once tacked down take a dull putty knife and run it down the skins  along the scales,(head to tail) It will lay the scale pattern in place.

If you apply raw skins,it takes alot of babysitting until they set well, so make sure you have plenty of time.

Some of you noodlers out there need to be sure and keep you flathead skins.Really cool stuff there boys,and tough as ground hog! :)

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 04:18:11 pm »
Well, my first attempt failed. I didn't remove the scales prior to drying them and when I pulled them out it ruined the skin. I'll try again paying close attention to the above. Thanks for sharing that kismet!

Nigerian Proverb