Author Topic: Nice day to plant some trees  (Read 2685 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Nice day to plant some trees
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 01:46:25 am »
Yes planting by hand I call that one at a time is the way I'll do it too with good success.Planting larger numbers of trees into the thousands with a tree planter in rows I'll drive back over the edges of the furrow to make sure the furrow is closed good over the roots.
Some pear trees need a pollinator and some don't.We planted bartlet which does'nt need one and moon glow which does.The moon glow will mature before the frost and the bartlet will mature after the frost.Best not to put all your eggs in one basket.Farming I'm sure you understand that.I'm sure you could grow some really food fruit trees up there of many different kinds.We got red cedars growing here that provide good roosting and wind breaks for wildlife.
We got some hazel nut bushes making good headway too but no nuts yet.
Life is good as they say.Always something going on on the farm.
Seems the goal is to leave the place better then you got it.Hoping others can enjoy the bounty later.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 07:19:25 am »
Yup Ed, that's  pretty much my same game plan for the pears. We can grow pretty much any kind of fruit tree around here. I'd like to plant some pears by my hunting spots because my wife doesn't want them by the house. We already can get as many as we want from neighbors. You have to be careful picking them especially windfalls. They always have 🐝 and wasps eating them and it's easy to get stung. I like picking windfalls when it's cooler and the bees and wasp are slower. I usually give the pears a little roll with my hand to get them off before I put pears in my bucket.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 11:22:14 pm »
Yes my neighbors have pears too.Too many of them.Picking them up off the ground there are a lot of flies around on a warm day.Some pear trees here are ripe before the frost in late august early september and some don't get ripe till after the frost clear into october.Both kinds are good as ever though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed