Author Topic: Trying to save a newborn puppies life  (Read 1918 times)

Offline sleek

Trying to save a newborn puppies life
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:03:28 am »
He was born  the 23rd of april. He was doing fine earlier today then  all of a sudden he went lethargic
 He had two seizures, lacks strength to nurse, doesnt have the strength to even cry. His stomach seems a bit bloated and he takes quick breaths further apart than his sibling. I fed him formula through the finger of a glove and gave him a few fingertips of honey to get his blood sugar up. I dont know whats wrong, nut I am very scared for him. He would be at the emergence vet hospital but im too broke. Im at a loss.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

Re: Trying to save a newborn puppies life
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 04:51:29 am »
I lost him.

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:02:56 am »
That sucks man, but it doesn't sound like there was anything more you could have done. I hope the rest of the litter is healthy and happy.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:51:43 am »
Sleek I'm sorry to hear that you lost him. Growing up on a dairy farm you soon realize you can't save them all. It's just nature. It sounds like your pups and their momma are doing good. Hopefully they all stay healthy. I'm not heartless, I'm just very used to losing animals and realize you can't let it eat you up. I feel for you but look at what you've gained and respect what you've lost. Good Luck with the rest
of them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:02:05 am »
Tough you lost him but I wanted to write saying that it's refreshing to read about your compassion and effort.
Things like that count, especially as we are bombarded by so much negative today.  At least for some time he was given human care.  Good for you.

1’—>1’

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:23:40 am »
To bad for the little fella.. Good on you for trying your best.. It's never easy..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 12:38:07 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear that, but I'll echo those above that you did all you could and it says a lot about you.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 03:20:25 pm »
You did all you could... maybe it was for the best in the long run. It's tough to see 'em go.
Our last cat was a runty thing, had on going problems and ended up with siezures, we probably tried too long with different medications but you don't know til afterwards.
You can only do your best and what your heart tells you.
Our current cat had an argument with a car (we think), she's going to have her tail amputated soon, her bladder control isn't 100% (but hey, I expect I'll be there soon myself!) But she's back to her old mischievous self :)
Hope the rest of 'em thrive.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 11:11:30 pm »
Sleek,
 I'm not a veterinarian, but it could have been several things, keep a close eye on the rest of the pups.
The first things that come to mind are a virus and/or e.coli infection.  He may not have gotten to the teat soon enough as well. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 11:28:45 pm »
Your old dog had her pups heh?Well that's a good thing.It can be hard raising pups.You did what you could.
Like Hawk said keep an eye on the others.How many days old was the pup?An unexpected mating like that can work that way.Even an expected one too so hope the others are doing fine with the mom.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 12:48:27 am »
The puppy was only 2 days old. I appreciate everything that's been said. I believe he had a lung infection. Tjere was a wretched mucus that came out when I was doing cpr.  It reminded me of rotten steak juice.

It hurts a lot to loose them. I know it tortures me worse to think about it. But what hurts so bad is knowing the life he could have had, the love he would have recieved and given. The little tail that wont get to wag when he sees his person, the child he wont get to make happy, his little tounge that never got to lick a face, i cant stand it. Old age and death are ok. Nut this was a life and a love the world will miss. I know i do.