Author Topic: how much faster is a recurve than a strait tip bow?  (Read 18835 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

how much faster is a recurve than a strait tip bow?
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:10:07 am »
I have seen this mentioned on some post and was wondering,, in your opinion how much faster is a recurve,,??
10 fps  20 fps,, what could be expected,, draw weight, arrow weight being equal,, 10 gpp,, thanks in advance,, B

Offline PatM

Re: how much faster is a recurve than a strait tip bow?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:32:04 pm »
I would say 10-15.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:38:36 pm »
I am more interested what happens with speed when you put recurves on longer bows, for example 66" I will soon build

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:06:29 pm »
Like any bow, its all about set, strain and design. An over stressed recurve wont shoot faster than a thoughtfully built straight bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:31:36 pm »
  I can't tell you how many times I have built bows and decided to recurve them instead of thinning down the tips only to have them take additional set and wind up with the tips in the same place they were before I recurved. It all need to be built in from the start and even then doesn't always come out as planned.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:31:49 pm »
Its really impossible to answer because the question is flawed. A well designed recurve wont shoot any faster than a well designed straight bow. Recurves are a design option to use when the limitations of the stave  would benefit from them.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:39:31 pm »
Generally I wouldn't say a potential recurved stave has limitations.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 01:49:38 pm »

Stave length vs desired draw length comes to mind.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:51:50 pm »
I agree with Pearl in that a well designed straight limb will outperform a poor designed recurve. I will also say that it's harder to pull off a well designed recurve than a straight limb bow, therefore most straight limb bows perform just as well as or better than most recurves. However, I do not agree with the statement that a well designed straight limb will outperform a well designed recurve. If a recurve is designed well then mechanically and theoretically it SHOULD outperform a straight limb or else it's not well designed. This is due to the fact that recurves should have a fatter force curve for the same target weight. Therefore more stored energy and faster speeds.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:52:16 pm »
Perhaps the limitations are placed on the stave by us according to what we want to make it do.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 01:54:03 pm »

Stave length vs desired draw length comes to mind.
and material. Again it comes down to designing it well to handle the extra stress. If not accounted for = poor design = recurve < straight limb. If accounted for recurve > straight limb.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 01:56:16 pm »
I agree with Pearl in that a well designed straight limb will outperform a poor designed recurve. I will also say that it's harder to pull off a well designed recurve than a straight limb bow, therefore most straight limb bows perform just as well as or better than most recurves. However, I do not agree with the statement that a well designed straight limb will outperform a well designed recurve. If a recurve is designed well then mechanically and theoretically it SHOULD outperform a straight limb or else it's not well designed. This is due to the fact that recurves should have a fatter force curve for the same target weight. Therefore more stored energy and faster speeds.

The fd curve may be affected by fecurves depending on stave length and draw length. But i believe the limitations are that a recurve rquires much more tip mass.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 02:12:40 pm »
  I am quite sure a well designed recurve will beat a well designed straight bow every time. The primary thing that boosts the speed is how far the tips are behind the back of the bow, a reflexed straight bow if there is such a thing will perform very well but still behind the recurves. I personaly do best with semi recurves or reflex deflex bows just because I can do a better job on them. A good reflex defelx will give a good recurve a run for its money.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 02:42:42 pm »
Y'all have still left out a variable that has more to do with performance than the other factors mentioned. Recurves are generally shorter than longbows.

In fact the biggest and first reason for recurved tips was to keep the string on a short bow.

I suspect all elements being equal INCLUDING length, long bows will match recurves.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 02:56:47 pm »
  I am quite sure a well designed recurve will beat a well designed straight bow every time. The primary thing that boosts the speed is how far the tips are behind the back of the bow, a reflexed straight bow if there is such a thing will perform very well but still behind the recurves. I personaly do best with semi recurves or reflex deflex bows just because I can do a better job on them. A good reflex defelx will give a good recurve a run for its money.

This is where I am on this. The stadic bows I have built was not that impressive . I have only built 3 so mine may not be a good judge of performance. This was also pryer to me useing d97 string. I am speaking of selfbows here also no sinue or any other backings. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!