Author Topic: Mass principal ?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Mass principal ?
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:52:45 am »
I was rereading the mass principal this morning & trying to figure the mass on a 44 in. bendy that I'm making but sense the base dimension chart stops at 58 in. , I understand the working limb to draw length calculation but does any body know how to calculate the base mass for a 44 in. bow ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline High-Desert

Re: Mass principal ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 10:27:57 am »
I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong, but I have always treated the chart as linear, although I'm sure it's truly not. So every 2" shorter bow, reduced mass by a half ounce. And then apply the other rules. It's always worked for a 44 in bow you would reduce mass by 3.5 ounces. I built a 40" bow using this method, of course sinew backed, and it came out what seems like an appropriate width and thickness for its poundage. I'm sure someone else knows more about this tho, this is just how I've done it.

Eric
Eric

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:26:43 pm »
I have been wondering the exact same thing. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 03:08:48 pm »
I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong, but I have always treated the chart as linear, although I'm sure it's truly not. So every 2" shorter bow, reduced mass by a half ounce. And then apply the other rules. It's always worked for a 44 in bow you would reduce mass by 3.5 ounces. I built a 40" bow using this method, of course sinew backed, and it came out what seems like an appropriate width and thickness for its poundage. I'm sure someone else knows more about this tho, this is just how I've done it.

Eric

Because it is more of a rule of thumb that a precise measurement I cut it off at certain points and designed more around typical bows. But I have used it linear and it seems to hold up fairly well. I will check out the op's and see what I come up with.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 03:17:15 pm »
  If you were going 50# for a 24" draw bendy handle the online calculator says 6 oz. That's too light. The calculator takes off 5 oz for being 44" long. I would not subtract the 5 oz and go for a total mass of about 11 oz.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 03:35:12 pm »
Ok thanks Steve I appreciate it that will get me in the ball park !  Good to know for making shorter bows  Thanks !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 06:34:12 pm »
I just weighed a 42" bendy yew I made and it's 11 oz. Eureka!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb