Author Topic: how much faster is a recurve than a strait tip bow?  (Read 19180 times)

Offline timmyd

Re: how much faster is a recurve than a strait tip bow?
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2017, 01:52:05 pm »
Sleek....you just basically spelled out how a compound bow works  8)

Offline sleek

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2017, 02:08:29 pm »
Sleek....you just basically spelled out how a compound bow works  8)

Well, that does it, I quit.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2017, 02:21:22 pm »
If there is an optimum shape of the recurves themselves then I have never found it.  I have tried large curves and small ones and found that there is no difference in performance between the 2; in fact I would suspect that the small curves would be better for flight shooting due to their lighter mass.  The one major difference I have found is that smaller recurves are less prone to introducing twist in the limb

That is exactly what I have found Mark. The bigger round curves do have more capacity for energy storage but they loose out in efficiency and being stable. I don't know the best angle I would expect that anything that lifted off at a very even rate would be desirable. A big static recurve has to bend too much in the inner limb to get the curves to open up.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2017, 02:57:18 pm »
this have been a great thread, and narrowed down alot of experimentation for me on my next recurve,,just gonna try and keep it simple with smaller recurves,, and see what I can do,, :)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2017, 07:16:52 pm »
No data to back this up ,but a trimmed out recurved mollegebet lever shoots quite well
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.