Author Topic: how much faster is a recurve than a strait tip bow?  (Read 19194 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: how much faster is a recurve than a strait tip bow?
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2017, 10:56:31 am »
Also keep in mind numbers from a machine shot bow compared to a finger shot bow will be different.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2017, 11:01:18 am »
Also keep in mind numbers from a machine shot bow compared to a finger shot bow will be different.

As long as all bows are shot either way it's a fair test.

Jawge, a 71 pound recurve will crack 200 with 500 grain arrows.

Offline Badger

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2017, 11:07:13 am »

Yes, on the average about 7 fps slower. Knowing Tim and how he shoots his pecan bow would have proably hit about 170 had it been shot from a machine. In my case and a few others who have practiced can artificially boost sppeds by using an active release method. I kind of trained myselt to calibrate my release to a machine release. Not really all that hard if you are testing enough.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2017, 11:18:01 am »
So using the virtual mass badger explained once. I did my best the theorize what those Asiatic bows would be shooting 10 gpp using the closest arrow weight above the desired arrow weight. They are in the order they are presented on the website.

178 fps @ 28"
186 fps @ 27.5"
187 fps @ 27.9"
190 fps @ 29.9"
187 fps @ 28"
179 fps @ 28"
193 fps @ 30"
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2017, 11:38:51 am »
To be fair all bows should be excersized the same before shooting.Most times 3 full draw pulls before shot through the chrono I feel anyway.The last 4 to 5 inches of draw I shoot gets pulled fast and released instantly for the best results I get.A snap shot I guess I call it.3' in front of the chrono.I don't trust myself shooting through it at 20 yards or even 10 yards.Afraid I might kill my chrono.....lol.Do it enough and it becomes a habit even while hunting.

BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2017, 01:11:18 pm »
So using the virtual mass badger explained once. I did my best the theorize what those Asiatic bows would be shooting 10 gpp using the closest arrow weight above the desired arrow weight. They are in the order they are presented on the website.

178 fps @ 28"
186 fps @ 27.5"
187 fps @ 27.9"
190 fps @ 29.9"
187 fps @ 28"
179 fps @ 28"
193 fps @ 30"

Those look pretty accurate

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2017, 03:21:35 pm »
I haven't heard hard data, except from Marc,  yet and remember my roots which is science. Controlled testing... somebody watching for over draws... measuring arrow weight. Repeatable results with more than one person. Same type of release. Bow size.

So lacking the above let us keep the dialogue going.
What is it about a static recurved bow that you all think makes it shoot faster than straight limbed bows. Is it the decreased string angle?
Jawge
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:32:13 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2017, 03:42:38 pm »
If you bend something to effectively shorten it the object can be swung faster. A static has its total length effectively shortened.

Plus I think the leverage advantage allows  the end draw weight to register less than is indicated.  Similar to using a lever to lift a heavy object. A static shoots like a heavier straight bow. Much heavier.

I do think a static stresses the material more uniformly and to a  greater degree.

Back in the day people flight shot straight bows over 400 yards but they shot statics well over 500 yards.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2017, 04:14:01 pm »
I have only from time to time access to a chrony. But was able to test out my best bows, 10ggp, 28"
Got average of 185 for static recurves and about 170 for straight (with reflex and changing cross section) bows.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2017, 06:40:27 pm »
A static recurve changes how the energy is stored in the bow making more of it available at the beginning of the power stroke, sort of like how a wheel-bow stores its energy
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2017, 07:50:16 pm »
Yes, agree that recurving would account for early energy storage as would reflexing.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2017, 08:11:42 pm »
OK I'll say this anyway in comlpete honesty.A straight limbed sapling flipped tip[not really a recurve] limbs a bit slightly reflexed bow[total on bow 2.5" NTN]I showed some time ago called a wiggle handled osage rawhide backed shot into the low 180's /high 170's with a 10 grain arrow when fresh before 200 arrows through it.48# @ 28".My arrows can't be overdrawn.The nock throat and back end of field point are exactly 28".Bow is 66.5" NTN.It's had a good 1000 arrows through it already for sure now.I imagine it still shoots into the low to mid 170's for sure yet.
Not near all my self bows shoot like that though but some others do too.A slightly D/R KCT straight limbed self bow with 10" stiff levers 68" TTT shoots those numbers too with a 10 grain arrow.
Seems a fat FDC is essential for extra speed.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2017, 08:29:48 pm »
Yes and outlier statics will shoot correspondingly faster as well.

Offline DC

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2017, 08:31:35 pm »
Yes and outlier statics will shoot correspondingly faster as well.

What are outlier statics?

Offline gfugal

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2017, 08:34:28 pm »
Seems a fat FDC is essential for extra speed.
Indeed! A real fat curve isn't completely necessary for fast bow, but it absolutely is for record setters.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.