Author Topic: Mean wood bows and horn nocks?  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Mean wood bows and horn nocks?
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:27:49 am »
Like the title asks, did mean wood bows have horn nocks like yew bows did? It's something I've been curious about but havmt come across anything saying so. Sinc yew needs the reinforcement to hold up to the string biting in, I understand the development of the nocks. But I'm curious if many of the mean wood bows had them since the wood could typically hold up to the string fine with self nocks, excluding soft woods like yew. Or if they were used on them more out of tradition due to usin them on yew so much. I'm sure this has been discussed, but I camt find a discussion on it anywhere.

Just tryin to satisfy a curious mind.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline FilipT

Re: Mean wood bows and horn nocks?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:37:10 pm »
I know that Will S puts horn on his ash warbows, but regarding historical use I am not sure. In theory if the string has thick loops they wouldn't probably cut through elm or ash nocks.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:57:53 pm »
I suspect it depends on the bow - I'm currently making a 90ish pound hazel bow and it's getting horn nocks because I had issues with the self nocks on the tiller tree.

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 02:41:24 am »
It also depends whether they cut grooves at all.  If you simply taper the very tip sharply, and you can use a running loop (a sort of slipknot) in the string and it will tighten up against the taper.  No need for grooves, hence no need for nocks.  That's the best way to tiller bows too, as you're not deciding on a bow length or string position before the bow is made.

You can also tie the string on in various ways, much like African bows were braced.  There's not​ really any limit to draw weight with these methods, so it's quite plausible, and works with virtually any draw weight.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 12:44:03 pm »
Is something like this what you were talking about? I've been wanting to try this style nock for a while. This is a perfect opportunity for it.

Kyle

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 02:04:18 pm »
Yep that's it.  I've tried it up to 140lb, I don't see why it wouldn't work heavier than that.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 02:36:14 pm »
Do you do the same on the other end?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 02:45:50 pm »
Doesn't knot slip when at big draw such as 32"?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:52:11 pm »
I did the same on the other side and used a bowyers loop. I pulled the stave to 150# and it held fine. Though it was on a long string and it only moved to 16". When it comes time to brace it, I think I cut a stringing groove across the back towards the tip more than the string rests. I'm sure these nocks will work fine on any weight of bow. Are they historically accurate fr this style of bow during this time period? I'm sure they have been used for a LONG time though. As long as the string angle is trying to pull the string down the bow limb, it shouldn't slip.

Kyle

Offline WillS

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 03:26:18 pm »
The Ballinderry bow probably had them, along with Otzi's bow and possibly the wych elm Mary Rose bow. 

Trouble is, any archaeological find that doesn't have distinct "nocks" is often considered broken or incomplete. 

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 03:43:54 pm »
And I bet wth how they are shaped people will assume that some were tapered for a horn nock that has degraded off.

Kyle

Offline FilipT

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 02:16:17 am »
What are basic dimensions for that cone shaped "nock"?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 09:53:23 am »
I'm not really sure other then how long o made the taper, which is 1.5". I just eyeballed the angle. This was my first use of this nocking method. But it seems like as long as the loop is on the angle and doesn't get down to the straight limb section, then it stays put. I havnt pulled it far yet though.

Kyle

Offline FilipT

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 11:45:18 am »
How wide this taper at widest point?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
I think this one was around 3/4" to start and is slowly slimming down as I drop weight.

Kyle