Author Topic: Why some Brazilian's wood are not considered a bow wood?  (Read 6462 times)

Offline KS51

Re: Why some Brazilian's wood are not considered a bow wood?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 10:41:19 pm »
I like Bloodwood just fine. (and Ipe)

I think that a good boo backing helps a lot of the dense south american woods since compression strength seems to be their shining property.

Ipe tends to be the most readily available wood here in the US but some of the specialty wood stores do carry other south american and african species.  The one thing that holds me back (aside from $20+ BF) "exotic" woods is that many of them don't have straight grain or are hard to see the rings on, so I am not always inclined to risk the investment in time & $ to maybe not get a working bow.

I have heard some good things about Jatoba and if I can ever find a clean, straight, dense piece, I will likely take the risk.

Ken

Offline elisonj

• Make it bend
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 07:27:42 am »
Wow!   That is a lot of wood who I don't know that I could use.

Here in fact is very common to find woods like Jatoba, Purple heart, ipe, massaranduba, Aroeira ( other name: Gonsalo Alves ). Others not so easy to find like Pau Amarillo, Bloodwood.
And of course, the dificults:  Rosewood (any type), Guayacan, lignum vitae, snakewood, maracaibo boxwood, etc.

When I make some bow, I commonly back him with boo or 'Pau Marfim' ( Guatambu ) who I think is like a BR hickory. But ever could compare because never got hickory in hands.

But I really had no Idea that some woods here could be similar to osage, (who I was planning import and try to use) and can be compared to him.

This discussion really help me.  Thanks a lot.   :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 08:45:30 pm »
There is another species called Greenheart ( Chlorocardium rodiei ) that is supposed to be good for bows.  An older gentleman from BC who used to make bows used it and he claimed it was better than Ipe.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com