Author Topic: RAMPS!  (Read 30686 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

RAMPS!
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:05:11 pm »
I love this little local business that has seafood buyers in fish markets on both coasts that ship in fresh seafood overnight.  They get in some wonderful stuff that we would never otherwise see, things like sea robins, monkfish, cockles, and a bourbon barrel fermented soy sauce from Kentucky that is do die for!

But they just posted on Facebook that they have RAMPS!  I have wanted to try these wild greens since the first time they were described to me.  So guys and gals, do me a solid and post your favorite way of having these delicious things!  Please!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: RAMPS!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 03:29:19 pm »
sauteed in a little olive oil till they wilt and the tops crisp up a little and then add some salt.  You'll love em.  Not too different looking than scallions or green onions.  They go great on top of everything, if you ask me (noone does).

Russ 

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 04:26:25 pm »
I had em on pizza before

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 07:29:20 pm »
Folks around here mix them with scrambled eggs.   I've actually never eaten them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:17:39 pm »
I come from a ramp rich state (West Virginia) and have only eaten them once. I was always told that if you ate ramps you could not go to school cause they would make you go home. The smell will leak out of your pores and smell like garlic for weeks. The stories abound in WV but I was on a turkey hunt and another hunter invited me to eat scrambled eggs with bacon bits,potatoes and ramps. It was delicious but that was the only time I ever ate them.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 04:23:18 am »
Used to go to the Kentucky Bow Classic on Lake Cummberland this time of Year. The Campground was loaded with Ramps - We cooked  them - used them just like Onions. Really enjoyed them ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 04:22:42 pm »
sauteed in a little olive oil till they wilt and the tops crisp up a little and then add some salt.  You'll love em.  Not too different looking than scallions or green onions.  They go great on top of everything, if you ask me (noone does).

Russ

Who asked you???  Oh yeah, I did. 

Thanks everyone.  I picked up two very fat rainbow trout yesterday and I think they and the ramps are going to be Sunday Dinner for me!

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 08:11:05 am »
JW,
I pick and eat rampsl every spring! Here in western New York they cover whole hill sides.
The best meal I ever ate was ramps and morels sautee'd in butter and served with grilled back strap and rice! :P

Chop them up fine and add them to your scrambled eggs or tuna fish for sandwich's.

you can add the leaves to a salad, or wilt them in bacon grease with some spinach.

They are great in potato soup! -C-

Crisp up some bacon and sautee the sliced ramps and then mix crumbled bacon, ramps and feta or shredded cheddar and stuff some morels, dredge in egg and bread crumbs and deep fry, great dipped in your favorite sauce! :OK
 I could go on and on but you get the idea, they will be great with your trout.

One thing about ramps though, they don't soften up like onions when you cook them, they will stay crisp and crunchy.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline neuse

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 06:33:13 am »
Sounds like you have a great market store to shop at.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 02:32:12 pm »
I had read time and time again that ramps were overpowering onion/garlic, but these were mild.  I simply washed, trimmed roots, and cut in half where the green met the white.  I laid the white portion on either side of the trout in the skillet and then laid the greens over top the whites to wilt while the bulp end browned just slightly.

Lemme tell ya, this was great!  I would use ramps in all kinds of things if I had a regular supply that was not $19/lb.  You folks saying you have hillsides "rampant" with them are not appreciative!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 06:34:31 pm »
I was wandering around the land I hunt in south central Tn this spring turkey hunting and noticed all these green tops that looked like an emerging daffodil plant, I pulled one up to check it out. Immediately I realized it was a ramp, I had never seen one before that I know of. I gave it the taste test, pretty good, like a cross between and onion and garlic with a more complex taste, pretty strong. The onion breath effect lasted for a long time.

As I walked off the ridge into the valley I noticed the hillsides were solid with these plants.

I was on the same hillside a few days ago and there wasn't a sign of them so they must be a springtime only plant.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 09:57:06 am »
mix them with some bell peppers, and some mushrooms, hit them with a hot pan until wilted and the peppers are soft with a bit of charred color, then add some fresh tomatoes and get them soft.  Boil some new potatoes in another pot until soft.  Mix all that together for a wonderful hearty side dish, served with some pork chops (or better, bone in grilled pork shoulder steak)

Your welcome  ;)
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 02:47:20 am »
Whoa - does that sound good  :OK -C- ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:20 am »
Any one got a picture Of ramps " on the hoof"?  I had not heard of them until this thread!  Garlic, I got!  Chives, I got!  Ramps sound like a 20-30 inch rain plant!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 04:41:05 pm »
I don't have any photos, but you can google the image, lotta great photos of them out of the ground and still in the ground to help identify.