Author Topic: field maple - layout issues prior to cutting  (Read 3402 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
field maple - layout issues prior to cutting
« on: April 29, 2017, 12:34:48 pm »
I have found a small copse of field maple, tall and straight, dense growth, probably about 20 trees, ranging between 3 and 8" diameter stems BUT they all have small knots about every 20" (average) up the stems.  How much of an issue is this? Can I plan to put a knot in the handle and go for three piece cores, or, would I need to cut up into short billets for 5-piece cores?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: field maple - layout issues prior to cutting
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 02:23:08 pm »
20" sal cores that are clean for a 5 piece should work for ya.I would'nt have a knot in the sal or working limb at all.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline davidjw

Re: field maple - layout issues prior to cutting
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:23:22 am »
Agreed, a 5 piece would definitely be doable and probably the way to go, keep the knots out of the bow, even the kasan and tip.  You might be able to get away with a 3 piece core if you use a 13" piece for the handle (2x 4.5" splice and 4"grip) and for the limbs just have the knot above the tip so it is eventually removed.  With 20" of clear wood, this would give you around 44" ntn which isn't too short by any means for a turkish bow.  You could even try having a knot be in the area that is removed in the female part of the V-splice, but that's neither here nor there.