Author Topic: Horn Bow Resources  (Read 4450 times)

Offline ROC

Horn Bow Resources
« on: May 01, 2017, 04:30:29 pm »
Alright.

Found this place after seeing that Joe Gibb vid with the 170 Tata horn bow. Always been pretty loyal but the compact nature would make traversing heavy scrub a lot easier, and that video opened me up. Resources are pretty scarce it seems.

1) what sort of cost can you expect for around 100 to 120lb?
2) Can you direct me to any reliable bowyers please?

Many thanks.

PS - The 7 security questions on posting are a bit much surely.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Horn Bow Resources
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:26:04 am »
James Parker, Huntworthy Productions. James is a sponsor of PA and our own personal expert on all types of horn bows. James also has supplies for building them.
 Authentic Asiatic horn hows are expensive and can take a few years to build. James may have a few other options if you don't mind a
non-authentic bow and they can be built faster for less money.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:51:35 pm »
You sure you want a 'primitive' bow? (no glass?)

there's this too... qualifies as primitive.. simple to make... good for 3 fingers imo. effective.

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G04l68aeSz0

For a custom 100lbs hornbow, I would expect to pay $2000-3000 for one, but I'm not sure. 1 year is enough, sometimes even 8 months. Or maybe they'll have a heavy one in stock.

Jason Beever, Alex Wittenaar and Jj Weißnicht are good bowyers.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:13:56 am by loon »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 12:02:49 am »
An authentic custom hornbow will cost a bundle.  If I were to buy one, James Parker would be the bowyer. I've seen and shot his work. James excels in all things primitive...and he's a member of our family!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bjoern Sofeit

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 03:53:44 am »
If you're looking for a strictly authentic hornbow with proper convex/concave glueline, Ivar Malde is the man you want to hit up. He got a couple of old bows last year, so you could get a complete repro.

Depending on the finish, you can expect to start from 2000 USD.

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 05:40:40 am »
If you're looking for a strictly authentic hornbow with proper convex/concave glueline, Ivar Malde is the man you want to hit up. He got a couple of old bows last year, so you could get a complete repro.

Depending on the finish, you can expect to start from 2000 USD.
Oh yeah, he's an awesome bowyer

Makes awesome Turkish flight bows, and all kinds of other great looking bows.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:45:27 am by loon »