Author Topic: Osage Bow (that hopefully doesn't take 10 months)  (Read 57769 times)

Offline Marin

Re: Osage Bow (that hopefully doesn't take 10 months)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 07:50:05 pm »
I can get a draw knife I just don't have a shave horse specifically.
I understand what chasing a ring is and I can tell the difference between late wood and early wood but I have never done it before. I just don;t have any scrap wood (wood that cannot be turned into a bow) to practice on. Could I perhaps practice on a thick round dowel or should I just plan to back this bow with rawhide just in case?

Offline Marin

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 07:58:41 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have very many antique stores or flea markets around my area, and the one great antique store I went to didn't have or even seem to know what a draw knife was. Do the modern draw knives still work pretty well?

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 10:14:15 pm »
I would think a new drawknife would definitely be better than no draw knife. I am lucky and already had an old one from my father so did not need to buy one. Lots of antique stores around my parts so stumble across one every now and then.
I like to think old steel can possibly be better than "some" newer steel so when I stumble across a vintage drawknife that is in good usable shape at a reasonable price I am going to pick it up.
I am sure there are excellent ones being made today, but probably some cheap knock offs also.Like everything else you will probably get what you pay for.

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 12:54:02 am »
There are always a bunch of draw knives on ebay
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline shofu

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 03:33:56 am »
First off, I am no expert on anything.  I have however chased a ring on black locust with no drawknife.  If that was my stave, I wouldn't want to ruin it. My thought:  if you are planning to chase second ring, practice chasing the first.  I tried it with a big hunting knife that you can hold in two hands sort of like a drawknife...
 I also found a drawknife made from an old scythe with an extra handle attached - useful tool.
By the way - what a great problem to have: a beautiful piece of osage, wondering how to handle it!
G
Cheers,
George

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 08:30:26 am »
I would get the bark and sapwood off the stave before you narrow it any more. There is almost always a surprise under the bark on osage, seldom good, that you might want to have some wiggle room to work around.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 09:23:28 am »
I don't know how good or bad the new drawknives are in other places but I have a new drawknife and it works great, perhaps even better than  an antique one that belonged to my great great grandfathe who was, I believe, a carpenter.

Chasing a ring isn't high scence, just take it slow.

Offline Marin

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 10:04:46 am »
springbuck suggested personally that using a nice machete would do and it doesn't require a shaving horse. I can even use it as a pull knife. I might have one in my shed that I could use

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 06:44:32 pm »
Any knife/machete etc will work if you can get an edge on it that you can use and control. A draw knife typically has a single bevel edge. Some use bevel up, some use bevel down. It is all about learning what you can control, what works for you. Some like their edges real sharp others like the not so much. There is no absolute, but I don't think I could chase a ring with a hatchet.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 06:56:59 pm »
Marin looking foward to your build who cares if it takes another 10 months atleast you will get another nice bow , rushing things can bite you in the butt atleast it has me , I dont know if I would try the hatchet I have only chased about 12 osage staves & wouldnt fell confident with it but thats just me , good lighting is key for me seeing late wood early etc you could pick up a draw knife pretty cheap look at garage sales ,antique stores etc I have picked them as cheap as $6 a good scraper helps too , there is a little bit of a learning curve on the first one but after that it gets easer & enjoyable , some times I dont feel like working on a bow and chase rings for therapy  (-P
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 07:18:21 pm »
I think mak'n is as fun as shoot'n.....:)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 08:16:44 pm »
 I forgot to mention you really don't need a shave hoarse I just clamp mine in a vice and put one end on blocks

Offline Marin

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 08:28:08 pm »
I might just stick with rasp and scraper on the back.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:14 am »
Good luck wit your chase the rasp & scraper would work for you but might be a little slow you could just rasp down to the early wood above the ring you want & use the scraper from there , osage can surprise you as far as being seasoned I recently chased down a stave that I thought was seasoned ruffed the bow down and checked the moister & it was still green it was off the stump well over a year so I hung it on the wall in 50% RH & it's still taking nice reflex after a couple months inside some hedge can really hold on to moister !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 08:38:57 am »
Have you asked on our Trading Post about a draw knife?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC