Author Topic: My first Atlatl and Dart  (Read 11315 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
My first Atlatl and Dart
« on: May 05, 2017, 05:59:05 pm »
I had a beautiful Red Osier Shoot over 5' long. I always wanted one of these. Piece of scrap Red Osier for Atlatl. I cut a small point off a white tail shed for the hook, glued it and wrapped it on with sinew. My Red Osier shoot for main shaft with whole turkey tail feathers for fletching sinew wrapped. Red Osier fore shaft with trade point I whipped up from a old saw blade. Bjrogg markings. Only cast it once in the shop without the trade point. I think it'll work but it's just to cold, windy and nasty to go outside and try it. Here's what I got, thanks for looking. Of course I will make a stone point after I play with this for a while.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: My first Atlatl and Dart
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 06:01:56 pm »
More

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:30:22 pm »
Nice set up, they can be fun to toss around. how does it fly? Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 07:00:18 pm »
Not going to cast it in the shop with point on to nasty outside. I'll up date you as soon as I can. I'm sure it'll take a little getting use to.
Bjrogg

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 07:04:00 pm »
Nice work

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 07:41:49 pm »
Thanks Joe,
Ed it's still pretty nasty out but I cast this one about 25 yards it will definitely work and better than I thought even. I think I'll get the hang of it. It's kind like casting a fishing pole, but different. We do need a Atlatl emowhateveryoucallthem these tech guys are slipping. ;)
Bjrogg

Offline Patches

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »
Looks pretty good. Yep, it just takes practice to get accurate. Lots and lots of practice!! :D

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline clewis

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 11:13:31 pm »
Thats deadly, great job!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 03:33:28 am »
I'd say it's ready for a Wooly Mammoth to Me ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 06:24:53 am »
Classic Bjrogg markings  ;).
You might want to end up putting on some finger loops on your thrower, helps to keep it securely in hand.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 10:30:15 am »
Does anyone have a rough idea of the speed of these things? L know it depends on the arm throwing it but just a ballpark figure would be nice.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 11:16:02 am »
DC I'm sure it depends greatly on person casting it but I believe I've heard over 100mph. My dart weighs about 1635 grains. I'm sure someone could figure the foot lbs. but I'm thinking that would penetrate pretty good.
Thanks Aaron I almost didn't paint my Classic Bjrogg markings but I figured if I didn't it would stab in the ground and without sealer just end up with dirt embedded in it. I really just made this Atlatl to play around with and learn from. It's still extremely windy out and I haven't really got it out on a big lawn to try it but I did learn I needed to choke up on the handle a bit. It's a little longer than it should be.
Thanks Patches and Clewis
Bob my eyes are peeled for those woolly mammoths 🐘 Dang still no Atlatl emoji
Bjrogg

Offline clewis

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 11:58:55 am »
Being your first dart did you have any trouble drilling the slot for the forshaft and what method did you use? Ive tried power drills but its a good way to mess up fast and some success with stone drills but only on my larger shafts and they dont go very deep. What did work well though was a fine pair of scissors from my shaving kit and just roughed up the edges a bit. My go to method now is a piece mild steel.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:02:21 pm by clewis »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 12:46:43 pm »
Clewis like you said, I didn't go very deep and the pith was quite advantageous also. First thing I did was wrap sinew on both ends of main shaft. For fletching end I use awl on my multi-tool. For fore shaft I used electric drill for smaller diameter hole then I use the tang for handle on my rasp to finish it off. I believe I even touched up the tail end with file tang also. I like to wrap sinew first to keep it from splitting. The whole thing didn't take me as long as it would to make a tuned shoot arrow. Honestly in a survival situation it would  be way faster and easier to make and with less tools than a bow and arrows. Learning to use it we'll see.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 01:17:00 pm »
Looks very serviceable and well done!  The dart is real nice, could easily make meat.  Looks like it is about 2 1/2 times as long as the atlatl.  Might have to talk to you about some trade points like that.  The finger loops would be a real good idea.  You might try a thumb and forefinger grip on the dart when castling, or a dart rest.  There are a number of sites that talk about dart speed, but I think it averages about 30% of  what an arrow flies at.  Bob Berg at thunderbird atlatl.com may have some info on that, I've not had access to a chronograph to test with.  My friend, Ken Wee has a utube video, but I don't remember if it mentions speed of cast.  Accuracy can be a challenge, I can usually keep the darts in the 4 x7 foot butts, almost all the time, but I need more practice to get a group!
Good work, didn't think of making darts with the extra long shoots!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry