Author Topic: Atlatl dart target points  (Read 3214 times)

Offline High-Desert

Atlatl dart target points
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:23:25 pm »
Any recommendations for dart points for roving. I've seen people use arrow field points but I'd prefer something that fits better.
Eric

Offline aaron

Re: Atlatl dart target points
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:34:21 pm »
I usually drill a mortice and glue in a piece of threaded rod. For a more primitive look, you can cover the exposed rod end with a wooden sleve..  making these sleves can be tricky. I start with a blank about 1 inch dia and 5 inches long.. Drill a hole in it about 3 inches deep. Next, insert the drill bit back in the hole and spin it. As it is spinning, mark the end at the center. This mark will become the tip. Use hotmelt to glue the threaded rod into the point. Now use the threaded rod as a handle to hold the point while you carve the tip and even out the whole thing based on the center mark on the tip. Aim for the back end of the point to match the dart diameter. When done carving, hot melt glue the finished point into the shaft. Wrap the shaft well with sinew behind the point. Use the hardest wood possible for the tip..I use mountain mahogany, ipe, or ocean spray.

Another option is a copper pipe with cap over the end of the dart
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:42:26 am »
I would think it goes to how primitive can you go👹.  I think you could make some nice "roving" points with bone( of course, you have to get the dogs out of the way)!  I believe most of the competition darts have arrow field points, but I'm not certain on that (AT) >:D.  All my darts are made by someone else and have field points.  I would like to find a "rover" course, within a couple hours, but I only know one other person who has an atlatl, and he is a world champion!  I guess I could go out to the Grasslands, and cast away, but there is usually a heck of a lot of lead flying around out there!
I would use a somewhat bullet shaped design bone point and a natural sinew or rawhide wrapping locked down with TB3 or fingernail polish, maybe on a fore shaft.  Mind you, I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds logical.  I get an "old guy handicap"!  When the roving atarts (AT) :NN >:D!
Hawkdancer

Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:57:13 am »
what is the dart outside diameter at the tip and what is the dart made from?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:26:21 am »
For Me, I always used 3/8 Ramin Wood foreshafts aprx. 12"- 14" long. Tapered and Fire Hardened - survived anything I put them tru  (AT) :OK. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:35:36 am »
I like that idea Aaron. I might use that idea with hawkdancer bone tip.
The foreword diameter is about 5/8", they are made of red osier.
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:26:42 am »
just tapered and fire hardened.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 01:56:35 pm »
I have been using copper pipe for making a blunt stumper. 1/2" common copper pipe measures about 5/8" OD and weigh 3/8 oz per inch.  for smaller diameter darts, 1/2" diameter refrigeration pipe is true 1/2" OD and weighs closer to 1/4 oz per inch.