Author Topic: End Drilling Dowels Jig  (Read 2068 times)

Offline jaxenro

End Drilling Dowels Jig
« on: June 08, 2017, 06:52:05 am »
I needed to end drill some 5/32" dowels for my miniature points but I don't have a lot of tools except a hand drill so I made this jig to center the dowel and support it so it doesn't split when drilling. I am sure it would work with larger dowels if needed

The longer piece of brass has a 5/32" inner diameter to fit the dowel shaft the smaller pieces are telescoping tubing glued inside one another to center the drill bit inside a 5/32 outer diameter final measurement tube. The shaft goes in the larger tube as does the drill bit and the tubes keep everythign in alignment for drilling

Offline loon

Re: End Drilling Dowels Jig
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 08:32:52 am »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:57:49 am »
 Very nice jaxenro. I have thought about doing exactly the same thing but never got to it yet. We had a jig just like that where I use to work. Another thing to keep from splitting is wrap sinew or probably in your case thin silk before drilling. Not sure might not work as good with your jig though. I like the jig thanks for posting
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 10:07:33 am »
That telescoping brass tubing has pulled me out of a problem so many times, great stuff. How did you center the drill in the smaller piece? Many layers of tubing?

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:08:12 am »
Many layers of tubing 3 actually so no need to center it is self centering as you make it