Author Topic: Viburnum?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline ksnow

Viburnum?
« on: June 12, 2017, 12:53:48 pm »
I believe I found a stand of viburnum over the weekend. Here are pic's of the leaves, what is left of the flowers and the stand itself.  Now to find some arrow shaft size.

Kyle

Offline DC

Re: Viburnum?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 01:27:53 pm »
Arrowwood viburnum has heavily notched leaves which your's doesn't. That doesn't mean it isn't some kind of viburnum.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 01:56:40 pm »
Blackhaw vib. has similar leaves just not as large. Vib. typically has opposite leaves like this plant. Get some shoots cut and drying and let us know how they work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:28:30 pm »
If they work good and to heavy spine for you Kyle I know someone who might be interested. Seriously good luck hope they work good for you. Keep us updated when they dry out.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ksnow

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 08:46:07 pm »
Found a nice viburnum identification guide online. They look like hobbleberry, but ill confirm when I return. I'll head back to the spot soon and see what I can get. BJ, if there are plenty, you might just get a bundle to play with.

Kyle

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 09:45:29 pm »
I hope they work out Kyle. I'd really like to try some. I have a question about viburnum. I think if I understood Steve at Marshall right, the snowball bush is a type of viburnum. I know a few people that have them but I suspect they would need to be trimmed back to get some straight shoots
Bjrogg

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:57:35 pm »
Viburnum macrocephalum, Chinese snowball bush. Cutting back should produce straighter shoots. Would be curious to try some.

Kyle

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 06:48:13 am »
Thanks Kyle now all I have to do is get someone to let me cut their bush down so it grows nice straight shoot that I can cut down again.lol. One of guy's buddies I think his name was Don, showed me his stone point shoot hunting arrows. He had one I think he called a northern viburnum that was very interesting. It must have been very dense. As soon as I picked it up I could feel how heavy it
Was yet it had a very slim straight shaft.
Bjrogg