Author Topic: Metal Arrow Nocks  (Read 6011 times)

Offline jaxenro

Metal Arrow Nocks
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:11:49 am »
Would metal arrow nocks be an issue having weight at the tail of the arrow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Metal Arrow Nocks
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:43:24 am »
You would have to consider that rear weight as far as spine is concerned.  What kind of metal?... and why metal nocks?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:27:19 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:15:52 am »
No reason just to be different I guess
And most likely sterling silver

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 09:28:02 am »
Other than the spine consideration I see no reason not to use them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 11:40:58 am »
And most likely sterling silver

I guess you have to put in front of the arrow if you shoot at vampires ;D

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:44:36 am »
Of course a silver nock requires a silver point the collar and cuffs need to match

Offline bigozzie

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 05:01:21 pm »
I'm with Jax on this sterling nocks would require sterling points and therefore you can increase the weight forward to maintain the foc you like.  I think more weight front and back would weaken spine some but likely minimally as to not affect the arrow recovery time.  Sounds like a fun project. Please post picts. and results.

oz

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 05:59:31 pm »
I will. I have some drawn up to be cast will probably try bronze first as it is half the price of sterling. But since I make miniatures they probably wont tell you all that much about full size

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 01:12:53 am »
Jaxenro,
Brass is even cheaper!  You can pick it up on the range👹  At least for modeling and testing!  When you get it right - then go to lbs sterling😂 >:D.  Not being a metallurgist, this is for a chuckle.  Brass and tin make bronze?  I'd like to see those points and your process.  If you can make miniatures you can go full scale, nicks ain't that big.  Does sound like a neat project, but needs a forge!  I think
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 01:15:11 am »
OPPs!  Should read  "nocks ain't that big"
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 05:36:13 am »
I use Shapeways to print them in wax and then do a lost wax casting so my choices are brass, bronze, and sterling silver. Brass and bronze are the same price silver costs more. These are the bodkin points I had done and a picture of the sprue for the target points and nocks plus the matching metal bow nocks. They will require a little cleanup some holes drilled things like that. I was also working on some laminated arrow shafts using wood and laminations to match the bow

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 01:42:31 pm »
Shapeways looks like a nice service, especially for prototypes. Do you do your own mold making and casting? I presume that you do the final fit and finish?

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 01:57:54 pm »
No they do the mold making and casting I do the final fitting and polishing although they will do that as well

Essentially for these they print wax than do a traditional lost wax casting from the printed wax model. Works rather well as you can see from theBodkin points which are made for 1/8" shafts

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 02:35:51 pm »
I'm looking at the bodkins and wondering if they could be cast in the other direction. So that the socket was cast in. Or can't they do thin wall. It just seems that it would be easier to file a point on than it would to machine a socket.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 02:50:14 pm »
They can go down to 0.6mm wall thickness

I was thinking a bit different though. Instead of machining a socket for the shaft to go into i was going to end drill the shaft for the pin that protrudes from the end of the point similar to how points are put on hollow shaft arrows