Author Topic: Hello and question about static recurve bow  (Read 2305 times)

Offline legend

Hello and question about static recurve bow
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:05:50 pm »
First of all Hello to All ,
I am brand new to this forum and would like to introduce myself and say Hello . My name is Mike and I live in the UK . At present my main interest is learning everything I can about bows , especially ancient recurve type bows . I am in the process of building a static recurve  by using my average woodworking skills etc . I would like to ask the advice of forum members regarding building this bow .

QUESTIONS :
I plan to make this bow out of American Black Walnut and back it with a layer of Maple with a thickness of 3/16"  to 1/4" , do you think this thickness sounds about right for backing the Walnut ?
Secondly , Do you think I should start off with a stave of Walnut 1" or 1 1/2" thickness  and work it down to the right dimensions ?
Third , should the recurves be moulded as separate pieces or glue the two pieces 9 Walnut and Maple ) together first ?

I would really appreciate the answers to these questions
Kind regards all .
Mike

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hello and question about static recurve bow
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:23:00 pm »
Maple back 1/8 - 3/16" is plenty.
I'm not sure the wood choices are best, others will offer advice.
There are two choices, glue in the reflex, or heat bend and glue in, or a bit of both.
You can't glue them and then put in recurve (AFIK)
A lot depends on your skill, experience, available tools etc.
You could prob start with 1/2" Walnut but would need to build it up for a riser section.
Not my speciality, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling... I reserve the right to be wrong! :)
Good luck
Del
PS Whereabouts in UK? I'm in Harlow Essex
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline legend

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:19:37 pm »
Hi Del , Thanks for that

You might be able to answer another question . If I did back the bow with maple 1/8" to 3/16"but the maple only came in short 12" or 14" strips , is it possible to join them together along the back without then splitting when the bow is flexed in the firing position  ???
Thanks
Mike
To answer your other question DEl (FROM Essex where else ) I am from the North East mate .
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:24:26 pm by legend »

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:47:45 pm »
NO!

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 03:59:11 pm »
  You might want to study up[ a bit before you get started, I don't think starting off with a laminated static recurve would be your best option but it is possible you could do it. The backing material has to be one continuous piece of wood with no grain run outs, the grain has to be straight. Walnut will work but again is not your best option. There are plenty of other good woods to choose from. For a laminated recurve you might want to use about 4 laminations. I used to use a clothes steamer to get the 1/8" laminations to bend around for the glue up.

Offline legend

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 05:37:10 pm »
NO!
  You might want to study up[ a bit before you get started, I don't think starting off with a laminated static recurve would be your best option but it is possible you could do it. The backing material has to be one continuous piece of wood with no grain run outs, the grain has to be straight. Walnut will work but again is not your best option. There are plenty of other good woods to choose from. For a laminated recurve you might want to use about 4 laminations. I used to use a clothes steamer to get the 1/8" laminations to bend around for the glue up.
Thanks Badger , I will take that on board , I do have woodworking skills but just wasn't sure about that maple in sections 1 thanks again .
Sorry Patm , I did not understand your post ?
Thanks .
Mike

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:18:30 am »
Just to clarify the "NO"
Think about it... the back is in tension so any joins will just pull apart.
On the other hand the bally is in compression so any joins would get pushed together, so you can get away with repairs and joins on the belly but the back needs to be as perfect and continuous as possible.
I agree with the others... start with something simpler... trust us, it will still be a tough test of skill, nerve, patience and vocabulary  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:42:54 am »
I'm in the North East.
Send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to show you the basics. If you are stuck on a recurve I can show you how to go about that too. It's not too hard if you have somebody at your elbow!

Offline legend

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 05:11:29 am »
Hello All , thanks anyway for that one Deland I totally understand what you are saying and it does make sense ..
Cheers
Mike

Offline legend

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 03:21:44 am »
Hi mikekeswick ,
Did you receive my PMs
Mike

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 01:41:43 am »
I've been away climbing, back now and I've sent you my number.