Author Topic: Bow making video  (Read 7216 times)

Offline Bob W.

Re: Bow making video
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2017, 12:37:43 pm »
I would  gladly accept it all, but no set tillering is where I would be most interested. Thanks Steve!

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 01:04:40 pm »
The more the merrier. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 01:20:01 pm »
You could film or photograph the early stages, but show it as a series of stills or speeded up. I think it would be good to show how thin the bamboo should be (so many make it too thick) and also a good strapped glue up,(so many don't use enough strapping)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 01:23:34 pm »
I guess my suggestion would be film lots and edit lots. You can't show what you don't have filmed, but you can't show everything so you'll have to edit stuff out. Just a few quick shoots can really go a long ways.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 01:51:51 pm »
I guess my suggestion would be film lots and edit lots. You can't show what you don't have filmed, but you can't show everything so you'll have to edit stuff out. Just a few quick shoots can really go a long ways.
Bjrogg

Del, on a real stiff wood like ipe and some other tropicals I will often leave the bamboo a bit thicker to avoid using a core. The belly slat needs to be thin enough to accept the bends I am glueing it up in. I kind of play the thickess as I need to.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
 "Del, on a real stiff wood like ipe and some other tropicals I will often leave the bamboo a bit thicker to avoid using a core. The belly slat needs to be thin enough to accept the bends I am glueing it up in. I kind of play the thickess as I need to. "

Badger, That's the exact type of detail I was talking about, the little nuances that many take for granted but are so often left out. Great stuff... this is going to be really good!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 09:26:23 pm »
Steve, the more the better.  A short video showing how you do the prep work might be a good way to work your way into the no set tillering and mass theory.  You said that you layout and prep the bamboo to match the belly wood... which is the opposite of how I built every bamboo backed bow I've made..?  I always flatten the bamboo enough to layout my pattern on it, cut it to shape, then flatten it the rest of the way.  I taper a full width belly slat and glue the bamboo in the center of it.  I use the bamboo as my pattern to shape the  belly wood... so I'm very interested in your ideas on all of it.
thanks!
You can come to MoJam again when you start traveling!
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline DC

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 03:35:43 pm »
Is it done yet? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 12:02:27 am »
I would love to see both no set tillering and one on the mass principle. I would watch however long it took to give enough detail to make a beginner understand.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 06:02:06 am »
Yes that would be great if it included the Mass principal ,that's my most valued chapter in TBB !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2017, 11:18:36 am »
   I will probably get started on one when I get back from my flight shoots in September. I wanted to do one getting bows ready for the shoot but once I started working on bows it was hard to stop. I will be getting a little training on the filming and editing process so hopefully by the first of the year I will have something.