Author Topic: Learning to shoot offhand?  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Learning to shoot offhand?
« on: May 11, 2017, 02:41:37 pm »
I'm curious who all has learned to shoot with there offhand side? And how difficult it was? Have you seenu u benefit of learning to do so?
I'm sure the answer to the second question will depend on the individual. I'm thinking about doing so myself. My biggest issue is I am STRONGLY right side dominant. So I'm sure it'll take quite a bit to over come that.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Learning to shoot offhand?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:15:59 pm »
Why are you changing? With lots of practice you should be able to change over a couple of weeks
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 08:12:33 pm »
No real reason, I figured it would be a good skill to have. To be able to shoot from both sides.

Kyle

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 08:52:32 pm »
Kyle, I've done a fair amount of shooting left handed. My wife two daughters and one son are all left handed. I also made a bow for a friend who shoots both left and right off the knuckles. I actually got pretty decent shooting left handed at least at close range. I think it could be helpful and don't see how it can hurt. I think having your bow set up so you can shoot same spine arrows off both sides is probably very helpful.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 11:18:39 pm »
I agree with Pat, a lot of practice should get you there soon!   The current wisdom is to go with your strong eye, however, most folks are pretty well dominant to their strong hand.  I shoot bows left handed because I am, and had an early coach who was left handed.  I have a dominant right eye, a bit late to change over, but I can shotgun either way, rifles I shoot right handed, because that was the way most rifles are set up and all my family shot right handed.  I just learned this spring that archers are supposed to follow their strong eye.  Pistol is easy, use left hand, aim with right eye!  It is really just creating new muscle memory.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 08:32:56 am »
Glenn St Charles mentioned it in his book..."Billets to Bows". He had to switch due to an injury and said after a few weeks he felt confident in his left hand shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 09:42:48 am »
I think I'll play around with it everytime I'm out shooting. With my luck and the way I shoot, I wouldn't be surprised if when I hit full draw I relese with my right hand and end up having the bow come back to me.

Kyle

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 10:20:32 am »
I think I'll play around with it everytime I'm out shooting. With my luck and the way I shoot, I wouldn't be surprised if when I hit full draw I relese with my right hand and end up having the bow come back to me.

Kyle
Ha that's a good one Kyle. I'm pretty sure the first couple will feel very uncomfortable. Hope it works out for you.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 10:46:34 am »
You might start off with a lighter weight bow if you have one just to get used to the oddity of shooting offhanded.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 02:25:50 pm »
This is something I really should learn to do as well. In the Saracen archery manuals as well as some of the Chinese treatises this sort of skill is considered fundamental to archery, especially among horse archers as you may be called upon to make a shot off the other side of the horse unexpectedly.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 12:27:18 am »
Kyle,
That would be a big time OPPs!  Remember, when shooting left handed - right hand holds bow, left hand releases arrow (SH), otherwise friends make lots of jokes about your technique!  Not us, of course👹😂!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 03:42:12 pm »
I think it would be a great skill to develope (SH)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 04:45:45 am »
I'll be counter-trend
I dont see any particular advantage to shoot offhand unless you're  100% satisfied with your regular shooting
...and I always see margins of improvement in my regular shooting  :NN

Offline TimBo

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 05:08:08 pm »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Glenn St. Charles and Fred Bear both switched to LH shooting to overcome target panic.  I messed around with LH for a bit and found the greatly increased focus on form was really helpful.  The hand/eye thing doesn't take long to adjust, but it is weird at first...it would be interesting to see how long you would have to work on "switch hitting" before you could lock in immediately from either side.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 09:24:01 pm »
That's something I wanted to do since I switch when shooting with a Thumb Ring but I don't have any left handed bows that are light anymore..
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?