Author Topic: couple more newbie knapper questions  (Read 15796 times)

Bishop

Re: couple more newbie knapper questions
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 01:49:27 am »
    Well, Dana got me cut!!! i said i was afraid of Obsidian and he went and called me a wuss, so today i got out a spall of Dacite, not even Obsidian, got off one good flake then i went for another one, small piece shot straight down and sliced the index finger of my right hand....thanks a lot Dana..... ;D
    Im pretty proud of my first knapping cut but it wouldnt hurt my feelings if it never happened again.
Bishop

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 08:22:58 am »
Oh sure blame me because ya cut yerself, is the finger still attached? if so slap some duct tape on it and get back to work ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 09:35:48 am »
The knapping gods demand blood sacrifice. Very few times do I knap without springing at least a small leak-it's all part of it. If flint diidn't get sharp enough to cut you, it wouldn't make very good arrowheads. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:48 pm »
The scars heal up almost unoticeably - after awhile you have enough scar tissue and calusus built up that you won't cut as easy ;D ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 03:02:41 pm »
i am not sure how you guys cut yourselves so much ;D  i break a decent amount of stone in a weeks time and  very rarely get anything more than 1 tiny, tiny prick on the finger once or so a week.  what do you guys do for a living, maybe i have built up skin ???  i build stone waterfalls for a living, so maybe handling all the stone everyday toughens my hands up more than the average guy.  obsidian doenst even get through all the way very often.   also, i dont know if you guys do or not, but i flip every flake off my pad before i make any more.  -  Ryan  aka "man hands" ;)
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline John K

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 04:21:28 pm »
Anyone wear leather gloves when they knapp  ???
The only way to fail is to never start !

Bishop

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 11:22:27 pm »
Dana
   Couldnt find the duct tape, so i spit on it, rubbed some dirt on it and that did the trick....then told my wife it was your fault.... ;D
Bishop

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 02:40:02 pm »
Ryan, I have hands like leather, but I'm also sometimes lazy about cleaning the flakes off my pad after every whack. Those are the ones that usually get me.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 03:06:08 pm »
Once I managed to get a large flake between my work and my leg while I was trying to get some good force on it.  :o Since then I started putting a big leather pad on my leg too. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 03:37:15 pm »
I worked some obsidian for the first time this weekend, (very sweet compared to Johnstone  ;D).  I kept my deerskin pad on my leg even when doing my pressure work just to keep the little glass shards out of the fibers of my jeans(that's really irritating).  Call me a wuss, but I also had on some safety glasses and a mechanic's padded-palm work glove on my left holding hand.   :-\  I've never used it with stone, but when it comes to glass, I'm kind of skeerd.   ;)

I also clean each flake off my pad, not so much to keep from cutting myself but I like to look at them to see how the turned out. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 09:51:36 pm »
When I'm doing percussion work I have an old pair of welding leathers folded up on my leg (thick to absorb shock) and a peice of thin leather over that. Evertime I make a hit I flip the flakes off - those flakes are guaranteed to cut ya ifn ya don't :). On pressure work I cut the fingers out of any old glove to hold my rubber pad (backed with thin metal for longevity) just to insulate it from pressing into my hand and getting sore over time. I usually will work all the platforms/deltas down one side before I dump em outa my hand - those ocassionally will cause a leak ;D..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 03:01:09 pm »
just last night i got a flake of glass stuck in my middle finger while percussion flaking. first deep cut ive had knappin. it didnt hardly hurt at all. had to pull the flake out with my teeth though.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter