Author Topic: Bendy composite design ?  (Read 4036 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Bendy composite design ?
« on: May 14, 2017, 09:25:14 am »
Hi Fellas  I'm still in the collect material & design phase of the bow I want to make I have a nice air dried decrowend & milled stave (rock maple) ,water buffalo horns & elk & moose sinew, components for fish bladder glue I'm trying to bring my skills up to the point of making a Asiatic Turk bow but for this one I'm in the ruff design stage and any input from guys with exsperience with these bows would be appreciated or any comments but my thoughts are a bendy style parallel limb bow 54 in. tillered to 30 in.  width at the handle 1 3/16 th the limb core tapper from 5/16 th to 3/16 to working limb of 23 in & 4 in static recurves of 2 in with a total of 4 in. of reflex before 1/8 thick horn & a estimated 900 grain sinew & what ever additional reflex is pulled in from the sinew I'm shooting for 50 lb @30 in & the width would still have wiggle room for side tappers any body have any thoughts if I'm in the ball park or suggestion ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Bendy composite design ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:25:45 am »
Horn

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 09:26:19 am »
Sinew

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 10:21:48 am »
Top notch components for that bow there.Love the looks of that maple stave.To try to get a hook bend on the tips like Marc or what upstate did just lately on their bows would be my choice on the bow length and draw length your proposing.Reducing the tips enough to get that bend steaming.Getting as much working limb as possible.I've never made one exactly like that but do believe it to work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 10:49:14 am »
You know Ed I like that idea on those tips I could thin them up and curf cut the limb & insert a horn slat stiffener like Jeff Schmidt does but much thinner I got lucky with the mill job on that stave it turned out symmetrically sound !