Author Topic: Why dont more people help?  (Read 8782 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Why dont more people help?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 02:27:09 pm »
Depend on anyone is a hard thing to do. Aside from that swimming lessons are kids best friend. Also I always make my kids wear a life jacket when we go to the ocean. Even the strongest swimmers can get dragged out before you know it

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 03:02:14 pm »
Glad your son is ok. Yes, swimming lessons should be started soon. If for no other reason than to keep himfrom developing fear of the water after this incident.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 08:55:23 pm »
Who was responsible for him being there and what role did they play in all this?

Exactly what I was thinking! Woman rant here....stop screaming and do something!!! If she could not swim, and there was no lifeguard on duty, she should have never allowed the child in ...period! Her fault.

Those guys that helped were heroes in my mind.....never count on it though.

This same thing happened to my wife on vacation.....I chewed her butt, our son, our responsibility, no one else. She received NO help on a very popular beach.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:20:41 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 09:34:05 pm »
She was screaming, pointing, and running towards him  her intention was to get to him, but she isnt in as good a shape as the two men who did respond and help. My wife is a navy vet,and a good swimmer.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:54:19 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 05:37:54 am »
I think you are being too hard on her it is a fine line between protecting children and not letting them live lives

And I do think the modern inclination is to reach for the phone and film what you see not to help. Life is becoming s spectator sport. How many shots of the rescue do you think are on YouTube

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 11:22:02 am »
There's still some of us out here that will "go to the sound of the guns"!

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 11:41:55 am »
If someones life is in danger that makes it a dangerous situation. I believe people are genetically programmed to avoid danger unless it's one of your own family or group. Training can counter that programming.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 11:51:12 am »
I grew up in the water and at the beach.  Shoot, I could swim before I could walk, living in the tropics.  I remember my dad deliberately taking us to the beach when he new there was a strong undertow and going in with us to teach us not to fight it and let us get swept out then swim in without a fight.  Training...no different than firearm safety or anything else.

Hope he gets those swim lessons.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 12:03:42 pm »
IMO, swimming lessons and firearm safety should be taught in schools. Both can be deadly if one is ignorant to either.
 By swimming lessons I don't mean how to do the back stroke or the Australian crawl but keeping your head above water and not panicking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 12:21:26 pm »
I was born and raised in a beach town(still here), never did learn how to swim. When my kids were born they were enrolled in swimming classes as soon as they would take them. !8 months, I think. I wanted them to be able to swim before they could think about it too much.

Offline JEB

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 12:24:17 pm »
Sleek, was this your son and wife?  Not sure as you started by A kid and referred later as his mother.
Just wondering AND thank our Lord that the boy is OK and that two strangers came to his aid.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 12:54:57 pm »
If someones life is in danger that makes it a dangerous situation. I believe people are genetically programmed to avoid danger unless it's one of your own family or group. Training can counter that programming.
I think D.C. Is right. I also think some people freeze at the sight of danger and some people can't stop themselves from helping someone they see I danger. Many times at the cost of their own lives. I think training, swimming lessons and understanding rip tides, undertow and many other assorted dangers are very good ideas. My swimming lessons came from the big kids throwing the little kids(me and my friends) in the deep water. They always saved us and didn't let us drowned. Probably not your best learning environment but at least we learned how to stay above water. Our swimming holes where gravel pits and they always had a lot of people in them at the end of a long hot day baleing hay. The high schoolers gave us "tough love", but without them I'm not sure I'd know how to swim yet. I vaguely remember one time at a Olympic size swimming pool one of my friends fighting to make it to the edge of the pool, I gave him a little help not even really thinking about it. Many years later we where on his boat and he thanked me for saving him. It obviously had a lasting impact on him. I wouldn't be to hard on the people who didn't help. I'd be very greatful to those who helped. I think the flight instinct is more common than the fight.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 01:12:39 pm »
They always saved us and didn't let us drowned.

You wouldn't be posting if they did ;D ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 01:21:21 pm »
Your pretty observant there D.C. My real point is even though they acted like we were pond scum they really did watch out for us.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 01:48:38 pm »
Sleek, was this your son and wife?  Not sure as you started by A kid and referred later as his mother.
Just wondering AND thank our Lord that the boy is OK and that two strangers came to his aid.

Yes it is my son and wife. My story tellung abilities arent that great.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others