Author Topic: kids spear thrower  (Read 3683 times)

Offline willie

kids spear thrower
« on: May 15, 2017, 11:24:08 pm »
ok, its an atlatl to most folks, but when there are giant critters to be found nearby, one has to think big!

My 8 year old hunting partner visited this past weekend, and we had to get up a kit for him. I made the thrower the traditional "elbow to middle finger tip" length , (12 inches), and we tried out a couple of different diameter hardware store dowels for ammo. At 48" for the dart spear, the 1/4" diameter one seemed to work best, going tail down/ point up if the throw was not very hard. Of course an 8 yo doesn't throw easy very often, with most shots going anywhere and everywhere, and some even making a decent arc towards the wooly mammoth milk jug.

pics show the 1/4" dia trout bead and a bit of 1/4" pex used for the spur/nock arrangement. One dart broke into three pieces with a energetic throw by the mammoth hunter, and I had to make a field reassembly with electrical tape, figuring he dart would be flakey as it was quite limber, I was not surprised with its poor flight. I was surprised when I tried it in my 20" thrower. It survived the day being thrown rather hard by adults, and flew quite well from the normal length thrower, although the range was not spectacular, as it weighs less than an ounce.

Offline Mounter

Re: kids spear thrower
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 11:32:20 pm »
Very cool!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:25:35 am »
The bug has bitten! (AT)!   Hopefully, he doesn't find out about cell phones except as alternative targets when there are no " woolies" or cave lions around😀👹!  Cool outfitting!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 06:00:04 am »
Very cool

Offline neuse

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 06:21:11 am »
Yes sir, nice work for the kiddo.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:42:15 am »
Nice job Willie and great way to spend some quality time with your hunting partner. Gives me some ideas for our next 4-H picnic.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 02:21:38 pm »
cell phones except as alternative targets

LOL, good use for last years phone....

I thought I would post a few more pics of some of what I have been experimenting with. The icefield darts have rather small diameter nocks, and I found the nock was prone to skating off the side of the spur if the spur was pointed, so I made a "ball spur" from the tip of a car radio antenna that can remain engaged longer. With a good fit in the nock , an 1/8" engagement is all it needs.

I have tried throwers with the hammer grip, basketmaker grip, and the eskimo single hole style. My preference seems to be the single hole for the index finger type. Most of the authentic eskimo types I have looked at have some curvature near the finger hole, so that the wrist doesn't have to be bent as far back at the beginning of the throw.  If the thrower is bent a bit, or the handle built up on the underside, it also seems to help prevent the spur from hooking the nock at the follow through. The thrower shown is nothing more than a 1/2" x 1-1/2" x 20" ripping from a 2x4 with some padding in the yellow vet wrap help to create the "bend".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:28:34 pm by willie »