Author Topic: From my trip to Nether's farm  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
From my trip to Nether's farm
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:56:21 am »
 I stopped at Nether's farm on my way down to the classic. It was slow going at first because it was my first time there. I was having the best luck just going through the rock that was already dug but left behind. I managed half a bucket of a variety of colors. After lunch I wandered a little farther and found a nice vein of some high grade white/lt blue stuff I was later told was chalcedony. I chiseled out a bucket and a half before my arms were jello. All told it was 100# I ended up leaving with .The chalcedony can be worked raw, but improves slightly when treated. The colored stuff responded really well to a heat treat and some required it to be used at all.

Here's some of the prettier flakes that have not yet met the pressure flaker.

Here's some finished and near finished pieces.

The whole family had a blast while we were there. They were more interested in the quartz crystal deposits and found some good ones. Another trip down before summer ends is probably in the cards

The stone was so pretty I figured it should be seen. Thanks for looking.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline neuse

Re: From my trip to Nether's farm
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:32:31 am »
Nice rocks, looks like a good rock hunting trip.

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:40:19 am »
Cool to see someone else getting stone from Nethers.  This winter was my first time there and I hope to go back again when I go see the in-laws again.  It is some neat stone.  I hope I can learn how to work it!  Paul

Offline bowmo

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:31:36 am »
Awesome, rock collecting is the best. That's a beautiful place to collect too.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 09:59:32 am »
Rock Candy. :) Did you make it to Flint Ridge?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 10:02:16 am »
We had hope to, but spent too much time gathering. I have family in columbus so we'll get there next trip. I hope to include a visit to the serpent mound as well.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 10:23:23 am »
Cool. I spent quite a bit of time with Ed Morland at the New River knapin.
He really filled me in on Flint Ridge material. very nice fellow.
He digs at Nethers alot too.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 11:03:58 am »
Really cool Dakota, Nethers Farm and Flint Ridge knap-in are pretty high up on my bucket list.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 11:40:01 am »
Hey Bjrogg, Flintridge spring knapping is Memorial day weekend, See ya there?   Seems to be growing every year also. :KN -C- Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 12:20:39 pm »
Wife and I hope to make the fall knap in this year. We hit Letchworth last year and then had to head home for a medical issue.

One of the rock clubs I belong to went to the Nethers farm on one of their outings.  One guy that I buy rock from in the club said they stumbled on to another place near the Nethers farm where the land owner let them have all the Flintridge rock  they  wanted at no cost. Got to get a map of that farm before I head down to Flintridge this fall.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 12:27:54 pm »
Wish I could make that but I'll be up in that area just a couple weeks later - mid June.  I'm planning on doing the same thing you just did!

Hope I make out as well.
1’—>1’

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 02:44:46 pm »
I was thinking about asking at a few of the other nearby farms. Might be worth a try, but 50 cents a pound is a reasonable price to know ahead of time what you'll find. On my next trip, I may start a new pit at nether's near a spot I found where the deposit is less than a foot down. I'm going to bring heavier tools too, like a spud bar and full size pick ax... and maybe a day laborer :laugh:

There's a 138 acre farm for sale just down the road a piece from Nether's. If there was any way I could swing that, I'd be packing the u-haul right now.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 04:00:25 pm »
Mike, looks like you got some good color  also enough heat to make it work for you, nice job. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 06:51:00 am »
Outback it won't be the spring one, I'd have to miss Marshall for that. I hoping to do like Jeb accept skip the medical thing part. I think Letchworth and Marshall are like a week apart and not that far from each other. They both sound good
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 08:35:43 am »
BJ: If you are speaking of the Marshall shoot in Michigan  next weekend and the Letchworth  knapin which is in New York they are miles apart.  Lots of miles, lol.  Both are great events though.