Author Topic: A good tool to have for warbow making?  (Read 10586 times)

Ruddy Darter

A good tool to have for warbow making?
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:16:56 am »
I'm thinking of getting one of these (for the finer stages of tillering and final clean up of bow)  a handled cabinet scraper, has anyone got any experience of them and think it's worth getting, or can suggest something similar and better?
  Thanks for any advice,

R.D.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:43:31 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline FilipT

Re: A good tool to have for warbow making?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:16:32 am »
I actually use draw knife for the same purpose during tillering. I put the blade perpendicular to surface of the limb and scrape toward myself. Also creates small shavings.
Then after tillering I discover its much duller and then simply I take carbide stone and sharpen it again.

But I wouldn't have anything against owning scrapers, they are not available in my city to buy, that's all.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:28:45 am »
Thanks Stalker,
That's a good idea, I recently got a nice 8" Mike Abbott pattern drawknife and used it bevel down to chase a back ring on an ash stave and worked a treat, accurately too...so I'll follow that suggestion and use as suggested and save a few quid.
Thanks,

R.D.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:18:38 am »
Hi Ruddy I've tried a spokeshave for tillering but it tends to dig if not careful. I have a 12" scraper with a 2" blade that is perpendicular to the work surface that works really well.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:37:50 am »
Thanks Bob W., I got one flat bed spokeshave that works quite well, and I think this new drawknife will work nice bevel down and I'll try it as a scraper too although not that keen on dulling the blade, my ash staves still has too much moisture so I have to wait a while before I do anymore. Any chance of more detail on your scraper Bob W. ? (brand name/make),
Is it something similar to this one which has 2" carbide blades? ( I was looking at this type the other day and can pick one up at the store just down the road,
 Many thanks,

R.D.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:42:42 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:53:46 am »
I made a similar tool with a piece of oak to hold a small cabinet scraper. it's ok for some work, but there are times when I want to be able to bow the scraper blade. I have a 3" x 6" for that

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 12:07:21 pm »
If you can afford it buy them all ;D. I've found that just Yew has many different textures. I've had some that a spoke shave works beautifully and is a pleasure to do. Other pieces rip and tear if I try and use a spoke shave but a scraper works great. Add into the mix all the others species of wood and eventually you will find a use for all of them. That said there are basically cutting and scraping tools. Find one of each that you can work comfortably and well and you're set.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 01:39:52 pm »
OK thanks DC,
Limited tool funds at present, I'll grab one of those carbide scrapers for now as it's more affordable and easy to pick one up local, and see how I get on with that.
 I'm very happy with my new drawknife which was a good investment, it was a breeze to reduce down my ash staves nice, neat and controlled, keeps a good edge too, it's going to be the most used tool for sure.

R.D.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:00:45 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 10:14:37 am »
The only woods I've had good luck with a spoke shave is yew and ERC(juniper). On harder woods it just jumps around too much. I'm sure it is my inexperience with the tool though because others use them successfully during bow building.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ksnow

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 03:08:36 pm »
I struggled with a spokeshave until I learned how to make them razorsharp, and adjusted the cut very fine.  Now, it is one of my main tools for shaping the sides of a bow and smoothing out a belly prior to tillering.  It helps to hold the shave at an angle to the wood and slide it across, not just pull straight.

Kyle

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 06:40:16 pm »
Ruddy I use the card scrapers and a bowyers edge which is basically a scraper with a 45° edge  and  bur that sits perpendicular to the work surface (90° centered on a 12"wood Handle) that looks similar to a spokeshave. My spokeshave is a Stanley 151, I don't use it because I have better control with the Bowyer's edge. If I have squiggly grain I use a toothing plane for tillering over the those areas.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:01:50 am by Bob W. »

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 09:55:40 pm »
 X2  what Bob w said,,I have a scraper holder by lee valley hand tools saves the cramps in you're thumbs  jeffw

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 03:07:03 am »
That's basically the tool I'm after, a bowyers edge tool or some kind of scraper holder. The closest to it I can get hold off is a Veritas  which is a bit pricey for me at present(pic), looks a nice tool (I may treat myself though :D).
 I got a few cheap replacement scraper blades and I'm going to have a go at making something similar but simple with scrap wood, there's a couple of diy videos on YouTube showing how to make a quality one.
 Thanks very much to all for the info,

R.D.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:02:36 am by Ruddy Darter »

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 08:03:20 am »
...just to add, I just been reading up on the importance of burnishing an edge on card scrapers, something I wasn't aware of and neglected to do therefore not getting the full worth of them...so I just ordered a burnisher, I reckon that might make a world of difference.

R.D.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 08:15:36 am »
Anybody tried screwdriver as a burnisher, or some steel tube?