Author Topic: Stringing a warbow without a stringer?  (Read 3872 times)

cool_98_555

Stringing a warbow without a stringer?
« on: May 13, 2017, 01:37:30 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone strings their warbow without a stringer.  Also, if you do use a stringer, what kind of stringer do you use for stringing a bow in excess of 100#?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:41:52 pm by cool_98_555 »

Offline WillS

Re: Stringing a warbow without a stringer?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 03:09:31 pm »
For anything under 140lb or so, I use the knee in the handle method.  Just lean the bow away from you, belly facing up.  Plant your knee smack in the middle and lean your entire body into it.  Pull the top limb towards you at the same time.

Under 110lb you can just push pull them usually.

If you want to use a stringer, paracord works perfectly, or just make a stringer from bowstring.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 12:33:11 pm »
With very long bows the push pull method can hurt your shoulder due to the angle of reach to the top nock rather than the poundage.
It is sensible to use a stringer.
I often twinge my shoulder when trying to get early brace on bows because I'm too lazy to use a stringer  ::).
Of course you can simply put the grip behind a tree and one tip in front of another and heave on the other tip. Easy to get it braced  :), but tricky to get it over the tree  >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 08:08:32 pm »
You just gotta have some REEEEAALlY long arms. Or could plant your own 'trees' for the purpose.
I like that though. I might have to try that for bracing some of the heavier bows without having to rely on stringers. I'm good for a push pull up to about 80-90# and can get about a 100# between the legs. But when pushing for those weights and starting heavy, it's a bit difficult to get that initial brace.

Kule