Author Topic: A good tool to have for warbow making?  (Read 10461 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A good tool to have for warbow making?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 09:13:00 am »
A round shank screwdriver works well for a burnisher.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 07:22:29 am »
Preparing a scraper by turning a burr on the edge is a new concept for me, I had no idea about that ::)... I found this YouTube video explained the method well so I thought I'd post it. h ttps://youtu.be/6KqPFQHqWJg

I also read up on burnisher alternatives, drill bit shanks is another.

R.D.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:30:10 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 10:58:13 am »
That's basically the tool I'm after, a bowyers edge tool or some kind of scraper holder. The closest to it I can get hold off is a Veritas  which is a bit pricey for me at present(pic), looks a nice tool (I may treat myself though :D).
 I got a few cheap replacement scraper blades and I'm going to have a go at making something similar but simple with scrap wood, there's a couple of diy videos on YouTube showing how to make a quality one.
 Thanks very much to all for the info,

R.D.

I made one for nothing if that's a good price. Doesn't look as fancy as the Veritas but it works.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 12:03:55 pm »
That's always the best price DC 8), I'll probably have a go at making something, I can't justify getting something I won't use a lot.
My burnisher arrived today. It's a Clifton 11mm diameter  hardened carbon steel to 62 rockwell, large solid brass ferrule and a lovely rosewood handle. Not bad for a little over £20. I'll see how it transforms my card scrapers tomorrow.

R.D.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:00:07 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 03:05:53 pm »
That's always the best price DC 8), I'll probably have a go at making something, I can't justify getting something I won't use a lot.
My burnisher arrived today. It's a Clifton 11mm diameter  hardened carbon steel to 62 rockwell, large solid brass ferrule and a lovely rosewood handle. Not bad for a little over £20. I'll see how it transforms my card scrapers tomorrow.

R.D.

I use it a lot. It's my primary tillering tool.

Offline cadet

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 09:07:58 pm »
I use steel pallet packing strap.  I put it low in the jaws of a vice, dress one edge square using a file, and burnish with a screwdriver shank.  It costs me nothing.
Re spokeshaves: there's spokeshaves, and there's spokeshaves.  Cheap ones are more trouble than they're worth, with poor geometry etc, and no amount of tuning will fix them.  Good ones, well made, well tuned, are brilliant.  I have vintage Stanleys and an HNT Gordon; also some old wooden ones, and new one one I made under Claire Minihan's tutelage.  They can all be tuned to do different things.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 07:08:10 am »
I know what you mean regarding spokeshave, I managed to tune up a cheap one that works nicely that takes off nice shavings, another one I have I just can get to work well.
I managed to pick up one of these locally, I suppose I could of made one but it was reasonably cheap and is nicely made, the tension screw puts a nice curve on the scraper.  I reckon that's my scraping needs taken care of, and now that I know about rolling a burr too I should be sorted.

R.D.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:15:33 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline willie

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 11:54:44 am »
I made one for nothing if that's a good price. Doesn't look as fancy as the Veritas but it works.........I use it a lot. It's my primary tillering tool.
DC, I made one that works ok just a wooden holder for the scraper card. Do you file the edge square on yours? or does is have an angle? I think Bob W mentioned that the one Dean sold has a 45 angle.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 06:34:01 pm »
Mine is a 45. At the moment I'm using a blade made from an old file. I didn't temper it so it's file hard. I can sharpen it but I don't think I can roll the edge. Stays sharp a long time though. Before this I used a 45 with a tempered blade so I could roll the edge. If I got it right it would peel off wood like a spoke shave. It was a touch soft so it didn't keep an edge long.

Offline willie

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 11:25:50 pm »
thanks DC

do you hold it vertical? which way do you roll the bevel? or make the cut, relative to the 45?

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 10:13:42 am »
Vertical, bevel toward me, rolled away from the bevel. The light wood is an OS sole plate that runs on the wood. By adjusting the blade it and out you change the blade angle slightly. Makes a big difference in how it cuts.

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 12:33:02 pm »
thanks DC

I am guessing that you cut by pushing it away from you?

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 11:18:39 am »
Yes but either way works somewhat.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 12:35:56 pm »
I found this video, thought I'd post it. Nice and simple, I'm going to make a couple of these. Thought it might be of interest.
h ttps://youtu.be/DPxCKbz_AJ0

R.D.