Author Topic: still can't hit much -- how is my form  (Read 7938 times)

Offline willie

Re: still can't hit much -- how is my form
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 12:46:16 pm »
before buying a new bow, try putting an eye patch on and see what happens to your groups

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 08:29:44 pm »
the thoughts of trying to re learn how to shoot a bow with my left hand is a pretty depressing thought.  I do have a half-finished bow I could probably retiller to a low weight, and the bow would probably be better for it, but I can't say I am thrilled with the idea. (R

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 07:56:10 am »
I don't blame you, but spraying arrows is MUCH less exciting IMO. Spraying arrows could easily chase you away from the hobby in the future.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 11:46:02 am »
Am left eye dominant also . . . and an "aimer". Have adjusted aim to that fact and can shoot fairly well.

Rear end of arrow gyrating around is possibly result of poor release. Release is important and a challenge to get consistent. Have become believer in regularly getting close to a big target, closing eyes, and shooting while fully concentrating on just 1/2 of elements in the shooting sequence. Yeah, it's not very exciting, but has helped me improve.

Quit shooting before ya get at all fatigued or bored.

Jeff Kavanagh's vids have been helpful to me.

Good Luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 11:50:08 am »
If you shoot instinctively eye dominance shouldn't be an issue or a problem.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:23:02 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 03:15:43 pm »
I shoot instinctively with both eyes open.  I can see how eye dominance would matter if you are using the point of the arrow to aim,--paralax and all that-- but I don't do that.  I just try to focus on the target.--I would think eye dominance would make your arrows all group in the wrong spot, not spray--Maybe Pearl Drums can explain what is happening.

I notice that my wrist breaks instead of staying straight--that might be what Willie is seeing in "tightening" my grip.  I really like this bow, but it doesn't fit my hand as well as I would like.  The grip is a little bulbous instead of pistol shaped.  It doesn't rest in the webbing of my thumb without holding on a little, the way I would like it to.

What do you do to get a smooth release?  whether I shoot right or left, I think I have to work on that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 06:26:59 pm »
I just edited my last reply...."If you shoot instinctively eye dominance shouldn't be an issue or a problem."
 I release as soon as I hit anchor. Don't know how it happens, it just does.  (A)  If I find myself short shooting I'll hold for a second then just relax my draw hand...and it's off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 08:34:39 pm »
Your form looks good to me.  I did notice that you have a slight tendency to drop your bow arm a little right after the release.  While it is impossible to not have some movement, it might help to give some thought toward improving that.   Good back tension usually leads to your bow hand moving slightly toward the target at the moment of release.  Other than that, I bet your trouble is nothing more than focus.  I find a tiny spot within the spot to shoot at.  Aim small and miss small.  If you aren't pointing your stream at the middle of the bowl, you might end up with yellow puddles on the floor. :laugh:  My attention span usually doesn't lend itself to shoot a bunch of arrows at my best.  I practice till my mind begins to wonder and then I have to quit.  If I am not really tuned into focusing on the spot, I am going to mess with my own confidence - which leads to a host of problems.  Get yourself a real light weight bow that you can really work on form with.  Video yourself with a 25 pounder - that can magnify any issues.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 12:52:27 pm »
i dont agree with having to shoot lefty,, two of the best shots I know are left eye dominent and shoot right, my ex wife and Jeffer,, just google him shooting and you will be inspired,,
learning to shoot is a long process,, like playing musical instrument,, takes lots of practice,, and improvment can come slow,,  that being said,, lots of guys can shoot either way,, I made bow for a guy that shot target left and hunted right,,

Offline goomba

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 12:26:55 pm »
 I noticed that from the beginning of your draw to the end of your draw
your head is moving 5 to 6 inches to the rear. Keeping the head stationary
throughout the draw may help.
 If you are also shifting some of your weight to the rear
leg during the draw it might affect your balance.
 This may not help at all.....just thought I'd throw it out there.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 09:04:56 pm »
One thing I noticed in your video, and I can't say for sure how much correcting it will help accuracy (but still), is that you draw the bow all the way back, then collapse a slight bit just before you release. Watch the tip of your arrow.

In one motion you draw all the way back, only the very tip of the arrow is visible.  You adjust your anchor slightly, it looks like you're doing it by bringing your face down to the arrow, and while you do that more of the arrow becomes visible past the bow. It's maybe a half-inch to an inch, but what this shows it that you are losing back tension, even if just for a brief moment. You seem to be doing this on every single shot.

This is a lesson that all archers can take from Olympic-style target archers. They often use a very slow draw and a clicker to tell them exactly when to release. They make sure their draw is one continuous motion and that they never lose or reduce back tension.

I've struggled with this in the past. In fact, I still catch myself doing it sometimes, but it's getting better.

So to correct it, try to draw directly to anchor. Don't draw back then adjust. Don't lose or reduce back tension at any time. If you can hold it constant or continue to increase it slightly, that might work. But it's better to just draw straight to anchor and then release. Perhaps a very short hold. I find that the easiest way to do this is to draw more slowly and to make sure I come back straight to anchor.

When I teach new archers, one of the things I find myself telling them often is Draw the string to your face; don't bring your face to the string. This is a different way of saying the same thing. A lot of people have the natural tendency to draw back however it feels natural, and then to move their face or to crane their neck forward to get to "anchor." They could fix that by just drawing straight to the anchor they use -- or by switching to a different anchoring point that matches their natural draw.

Other than that, which jumped out to me, nothing else looks too bad. I think if you could correct that though you'd end up with a more consistent draw and release, and hopefully you'd have improved accuracy and precision to go with it. Personally, often when I find myself making bad shots I'm either short-drawing or collapsing or flubbing my release. And often when the release is bad it's because I collapsed/lost tension for a moment.

EDIT: It also looks like you are starting your draw from this hunched/leaned forward position, then opening back up, then leaning your neck forward again. You might have better luck if you start from an open position, stay in that position while you draw to anchor, and then remain in that position while you release. It's not extreme, but it's noticeable.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:08:47 pm by nakedfeet »

Offline loon

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 02:27:30 am »
One thing I noticed in your video, and I can't say for sure how much correcting it will help accuracy (but still), is that you draw the bow all the way back, then collapse a slight bit just before you release. Watch the tip of your arrow.
Yeah... I have the same problem and it's been plaguing my consistency and arrow flight forever. To the point where I'm about to install a clicker on my Korean bow, hopefully it'll help. (different kind from the one Olympic shooters use, though. it has a cord going from the limb to the bow string...)
You can try this sort of thing for checking if your arrows are tuned and you have a clean release. Seems like a very good practice method..

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00oNdxJWhTI
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:57:54 pm by loon »

Offline hickory hollows

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 04:51:51 pm »
I looks as though you right elbow is too low to allow for proper back tension that allows for a clean release. When you draw try thinking of pinching your lower shoulder blades together. as for being left eye dominant there is no need to switch to shooting lefty, just start shutting your left eye when you shoot. Another thing that may help would be trying different methods of aiming. Instead of trying to shoot by instinct, try gap shooting. Gap shooting helps a lot if you are trying to shoot with your non-dominant hand.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 05:25:16 am »
Might try loosening up on the grip a bit, also square you shoulders with the target and when you draw to anchor , draw to anchor keeping your head solid, you seem to draw back and then bring your anchor
point to your finger not your finger to your anchor. Just some thought that I work on. Also left eye dominant, of course you would be better off or would have been better off if you had started shooting left but as was said if you shoot both eyes open and are not aiming with the point of your arrow you can over come it. I am left dominant and shoot right handed and do OK, always wondered how much better I could have shot had I started left, just been doing it my way to long and to old to care much or change now. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 05:42:22 pm »
Close your left eye when you shoot, your dominant eye is providing too much contrary information that is throwing you off.